1St night out for months

wookie1965

Paying for it today but was worthwhile, started out with a couple old favorites M57 and M13 Saturn,Mars and Jupiter took some pictures of the moon with my phone. Moved on to M81 and M82 with the moon out wasn't much i could see as i was positioning for M81 and M82 caught sight of a fuzzy but could not discern  what object it was. Turned round to Cassiopeia  checked out couple double stars ETA Cas lovely contrasting colours yellow and orange. Iota Cas was a lovely triple one was on the limit of visibility had to use averted vision . Spotted  M52 a new cluster for me lovely blue white cluster. NGC 457 next the Owl nebula brilliant finding this again. Finished off looking at Albireo never get bored looking at this double yellow and blue stunning. If anyone could help me with the fuzzy  please give me an idea.

Nice report, some of my favourite objects there. I was hoping to get out tonight but from a clear sky an hour ago I now have almost total cover. I hope the clear sky comes by when the Moon clears off, it's been terrible here.

Nice write up, going to use it as my next observing plan, if the clouds break!  

With you on the back thing, mine kills after a decent few hours observing, especially with some of the positions I get in with my OTA. I broke my back 2 and 1/2 years ago but luckily all repaired but suffer every day. Hey ho, got to be philosophical, could be worse, at least I can stare and wonder at the beauty of it all. 

47 minutes ago, Peco4321 said:

Nice write up, going to use it as my next observing plan, if the clouds break!  

With you on the back thing, mine kills after a decent few hours observing, especially with some of the positions I get in with my OTA. I broke my back 2 and 1/2 years ago but luckily all repaired but suffer every day. Hey ho, got to be philosophical, could be worse, at least I can stare and wonder at the beauty of it all. 

I had a good couple of hours hope the skies clear for you. 

Nice to see you getting out again Paul and I hope you get the time to add many more reports for us to read.

The faint fuzzy near M81 and 82 could be NGC3077 another galaxy nearby. Seen it many times 

I enjoyed the read and good to see old friend's again with the rising of cygnus and cassiopea

I have been out a few nights after much too long a break. My knees and right hip are problems for me but nothing compared to what my wife has been through! 

I find myself at peace at the eyepiece and am very glad to have had a few clear nights recently. It is amazing what we put up with in pursuit of the wonders of the night sky. 

Great report, makes me determined to stick at it.

13 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

Thanks Alan like I said suffering today got 2 collapsed discs so in agony but with clear sky and the fact not been out for months I persevered. 

That sound very painful, I hope you are soon on the mend and back to your normal self, I have been ill through the early part of the year and that stopped me observing but now it is just awful weather, he said as the sun is shining through the window. It seems to get bad after mid afternoon, shame I don't have a solar set-up.

Alan

1 hour ago, alan potts said:

That sound very painful, I hope you are soon on the mend and back to your normal self, I have been ill through the early part of the year and that stopped me observing but now it is just awful weather, he said as the sun is shining through the window. It seems to get bad after mid afternoon, shame I don't have a solar set-up.

Alan

I bought a solar filter took some pictures of the Mercury transit. 

On 17/05/2016 at 20:39, mapstar said:

Nice to see you getting out again Paul and I hope you get the time to add many more reports for us to read.

The faint fuzzy near M81 and 82 could be NGC3077 another galaxy nearby. Seen it many times 

I enjoyed the read and good to see old friend's again with the rising of cygnus and cassiopea

Thanks Damien I was well pleased finding M52 and now ngc3077 I will look for that again I'm doing what Nick told me looking for clusters and double stars I can look for the more elusive when I'm in a dark site. 

45 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Thanks Damien I was well pleased finding M52 and now ngc3077 I will look for that again I'm doing what Nick told me looking for clusters and double stars I can look for the more elusive when I'm in a dark site. 

Here it is on my star chart. NGC3077.jpgGood to follow Nick's advice and check out the brighter stuff in light polluted skies. The faint fuzzies also depend on sky conditions for clarity

4 hours ago, mapstar said:

Here it is on my star chart. NGC3077.jpgGood to follow Nick's advice and check out the brighter stuff in light polluted skies. The faint fuzzies also depend on sky conditions for clarity

That's definitely the one Damien I was going in that direction to M81 and m82 thanks very much. 

Archived