Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Thomas Hardy Quote

Wardr77

I've just been made aware of this quote, apparently by Thomas Hardy in one of his many books and  I think its rather good; maybe you are already know it but here it is anyway:

If you are cheerful & wish to remain so,leave the study of astronomy alone.Of all the sciences it alone deserves the character of the terrible, if on the other hand,you are restless & anxious about the future, study astronomy at once. Your troubles will be reduced amazingly. But your study will reduce them in a singular way,by reducing the importance of everything. So that science is still terrible, even as a panacea. It is better, far better, for men to forget the universe than to bear it clearly in mind.

I presume this is from Hardy's novel, Two on a Tower. In the story, Lady Constantine  falls in love with Swithin St. Cleeve, an astronomer who is ten years younger than her - she builds him an observatory on a tower in our estate.

The BBC broadcast it on Radio 4 a couple of years ago.

Jeremy

Archived