Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M101 LRGB

pyrasanth

Here is the finished LRGB image. I have not removed the top & bottom gradients as the time gets into the laws of diminishing returns as I plan to re-image M101 next season with the Atuk 11000 as there is much more to be captured outside of the framing abilities of the 460.

Let me know what you think.

Clear skies to you all.

M101-Finished.png

That's a decent M101. You have some burnt out nebulous regions and the cores on the brighter stars but some very nice detail in the galaxy itself. 

Pete

48 minutes ago, theo said:

That's a decent M101. You have some burnt out nebulous regions and the cores on the brighter stars but some very nice detail in the galaxy itself. 

Pete

Thanks- I might look at the burnt out regions & see what I can do. Thanks for the kind words.

On 5/9/2016 at 17:51, Rodd said:

Very nice image--Love M101--which scope did you use?  Integration times?

The image was taken with the C11 Edge at F7 with an ATik 460 & Badder LRGB HA filters. The image above has no HA just LRGB. I'm still working to get a better HA integrated image.

The integration times are below:

RED           7 Hours 48

GREEN      6 Hours 48

BLUE        6 Hours 20  (A bad night ruined a lot of subs)

UVCUT      15 Hours 30

Total over 36 Hours

You've worked hard on this and deserve the good result that you have here. I agree with Pete on the details but they will be fixable.

Having seen your Ha I doubt that you need more, but you'll need to integrate it carefully. Pixinsight's method is ... now, how daring do I want to be in condemning it???? Just try blend mode Lighten in Photoshop, red channel. So easy, so nice!

Olly

15 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

You've worked hard on this and deserve the good result that you have here. I agree with Pete on the details but they will be fixable.

Having seen your Ha I doubt that you need more, but you'll need to integrate it carefully. Pixinsight's method is ... now, how daring do I want to be in condemning it???? Just try blend mode Lighten in Photoshop, red channel. So easy, so nice!

Olly

Thanks Olly- I've posted an attempt to do this below. I hope I followed the correct procedure but you will correct me If I've done it wrong!

I separated the RGB channels then used a 60% lighten on the HA with the Red producing a new frame. I then recombined the layers substituting the original red channel with the new HA-Red

Some problems which now make me laugh considering the work put into the image. The HA frames have a very bad border perhaps 20% of the total integrated frame is unusable. I could crop but I have decided to leave as a work example-this means that I can only integrate the center of the HA frame. This has left a very slight colour cast from the HA on the new combined image which can be seen if you crank up the brightness. I made the HA very subtle & not in your face & toned down the exposure on the brighter nebula areas.

I will will order the full frame ONAG this week which means I can switch most of my imaging to the Atik 11000 which will give me loads of room for cropping images so this problem should become less.

As always let me know what you think about the image- it's a shame about the full HA layer not being there but at least it proves the concept & the workflow.

Clear skies to you all.....eventually:icon_biggrin:

M101-Finished-LRGB-HA.png

I know you all wanted it- so here is the cropped version just taking in the HA area- look not 3 bad!

Total integration time is 48 hours of subs & weeks of getting the processing wrong!

Cropped_GradientXterminator-M101-Finished-60%-HA.png

7 hours ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

It's a great result. You've certainly picked up lots of Ha, any chance of posting up the Ha layer by itself please?

The HA layer is below- this is captured as 21 30 minute subs on the Atik 460 Baader HA filter- your welcome to use it if it is of any use in your work- just give me an acknowledgement if used. I can post the raw file on dropbox for you as a Tiff if you need it. PM me if so required.

HA_1x1.png

2 hours ago, carastro said:

Excellent job Mark

Carole 

Thanks Carole- I'm going to redo this image next year with the Atik 1100. It will be more suited to the image scale of my telescope & will have ample room for cropping- so no silly HA errors!

49 minutes ago, pyrasanth said:

The HA layer is below- this is captured as 21 30 minute subs on the Atik 460 Baader HA filter- your welcome to use it if it is of any use in your work- just give me an acknowledgement if used.

Thanks for the offer, I was just interested in seeing the extent of the Ha regions more clearly.

Archived