Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Warm observing

Special K

Evening gives way to astronomical night so late already in May but it's great to cool the scope off while tending to the bbq and generally unwinding from the day. After 9pm I had a first look at a high pressure sky and noticed Jupiter glowing brightly in twilight. As I scanned around the sky there was nothing until Arcturus, and then one by one the first magnitude cast arrives:  Capella, Castor and Pollux, Procyon, Regulus, and Vega just peeping over the trees.  The Bear is already taking form overhead. Leo then reveals itself from Denebola to the lion's teeth. Boötes, Corona Borealis, and three stars of Hercules' body can be made out. Later, the limbs of all these constellations announce themselves. I put the scope on a few stars as a taster: The Daytime Double is too easily split on the panhandle but great fun. If you want to see just how dark the background is when viewing at power, just try it in twilight and compare the two......great contrast booster!  

As it gets darker, it's time to go deep and M13 is the starting point.  Pins of light ping in and out of view as I look directly above, below, and then look away.  I'm briefly distracted by Jupiter (several times over a few hours) and pleased to see bands in the temperate zones, plus what looks like a ribbon of light which winds its way along the SEB.  

On to a cruise through some Virgo galaxies, a sea of billions upon billions of stars.  From the Y asterism of ρ Virgo, it's a journey of mini-hops between treasures old and new:

M59, M58, just barely seeing a patch of light where the Siamese Twins NGC4567 & 4568 are located, M89, M90, M87 plus a whiff of NGC4478.

Plunging deeper on to Markarian's: M84 & M86, another hint at NGC4388, easy Eyes 4435 and 4438, up to 4458, 4473, 4477, 4459, even 4474 which surprised me, M88, and M91.  A bit rushed it a full circuit nonetheless!

I finished up on ε Lyra, and a beautiful image of the double double at 130x, like twin steel balls glowing in the darkness.  It was a warm Spring evening, and a perfect night for treasure hunting :)

Great stuff Kevin, a lovely description of objects appearing out of the twilight.

My group have an outreach session on Saturday, and we will very much be following the order you described, starting with Jupiter in the near daylight and then picking up the brighter stars, then globs and hopefully some PNs and galaxies later on, if it's clear!!

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Great stuff Kevin, a lovely description of objects appearing out of the twilight.

My group have an outreach session on Saturday, and we will very much be following the order you described, starting with Jupiter in the near daylight and then picking up the brighter stars, then globs and hopefully some PNs and galaxies later on, if it's clear!!

Thanks and really hope you guys get a nice clear night!  

I agree I liked the twilight with stars popping out, I do this myself often. If I ever get a clear night I will have to have a look at Virgo with all these galaxies myself with the big scope. The Moon will be back with us soon though and that will not help.

Nice work!

Alan

14 hours ago, Pig said:

Great session by the sounds of it ....excellent time lapse like report :happy6: I couldn't help wondering how the burgers tasted though !!

Ha ha, just a bit of salmon is all!!!  Now I'll want a burger on the weekend.   Here's hoping this high pressure holds out :)

Archived