Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Getting more detail out of the M31 core

gorann

I started playing with a November image of M31 (My 5" refractor and Canon 60Da), wondering would it would look like if anyone would fly close to it and get blinded by the core, not seeing the faint stuff around and only the core. So, I used curves to darken the image until I only saw the core. I liked the image and was struck with the detail I could suddenly see around the core. So, then I had to do the obvious: paste that core into the original bright image using layer masks and a feathered brush in PS. I like the result, what do you think? Here are the original, the curves setting I used, the darkened image only showing the core, and the finale composite image.

IMG587-589new2LabColBlue3.jpg

Skärmavbild 2016-04-14 kl. 22.52.38.png

IMG587-589new2 Only dark core.jpg

IMG587-589new2Dark Center2.jpg

9 hours ago, pyrasanth said:

Interesting topic. I focused on the core in the image below. The center i don't think will resolve with the apertures we have.

M31-The-Core3.png

The core isn't particularly small and it's very bright so we have, I think, all the aperture we need to get closer. The problem is the dynamic range. As we close in to the core the darker dust lanes and the brighter core become so far apart that we lack the range to retain them both. In looking around the net in search of inspiration I've concluded that a good number of imagers have reached the same level of core penetration but I've yet to find anyone who has done radically better. Please link if you do find something new!

Unable to come up with anything unusual in the core I set about seeing how much of the outer stuff I could find.

https://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/i-xbvjFDF/A

Olly

That is a lot of outer stuff in your image Olly!

One would think that doing a series of short to long exposures would help resolving the core, but I assume you tried that.

I found some old unused data i threw together...not too look pretty, but to show how close one can get.

I'm willing to share the data for someone to use in their image as long as i get cred:)

M31 Core2.jpg

The core is resolved to looking like a star with a brighter area round it.

M31 Core small.jpg

7 hours ago, Xplode said:

I found some old unused data i threw together...not too look pretty, but to show how close one can get.

I'm willing to share the data for someone to use in their image as long as i get cred:)

M31 Core2.jpg

M31 Core small.jpg

Ole Alexander, that is very interesting with the core shrinking to a "star" surrounded by filaments. I assume you have some short exposures in that data. I could try to incorporate your data into my M31. I send you a message.

12 hours ago, Xplode said:

M31 Core2.jpg

M31 Core small.jpg

Good stuff, Ole. There are some details in that image which I've never seen before.

Olly

There is an even a better way of getting more detail out of the M31 core: to have a friendly SGL member sending you data (the one he just posted here). So, here is the M31 with Ole Alexander's data blended into the core. Thank you Ole Alexander, this was fun! Any comments welcome since I am sure there would be better ways to do this.

IMG587-589new2Dark Center2+OAdata PS5.jpg

IMG587-589new2Dark Center2+OAdata PS5 close up.jpg

Archived