Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Viewing the sun

Hi,

lim new to all this, so I don't know if this is a stupid/dangerous question?

I have a Celestron nexstar 130slt, what I was wondering was, if I buy some baader Astro solar film and make a filter to fit on the end of my scope will I be able to use it to view the sun?

like I said, I'm new to this so sorry if this is stupidly dangerous!

any advice appreciated.

Gareth

Hi Gareth,

Yes, you can use the 130SLT for solar viewing with a suitable filter over the front of the scope. According to the specs your tracking computer even has a solar setting to allow you to track the sun accurately :smile:

Please spend some time reading the safety advice available on this site and elsewhere on the web before attempting to do this.

You can make a filter yourself or buy one like this if you are not sure what to do.

Stay safe :wink:

Derek

To paraphrase a well-known saying US-side, Yes You Can.

Come on in, Gareth, and enjoy observing the star in your back garden.

IBut since you stress that you are 'new to all this', it might be worth adding that the Baader solar film will give you good views in white light - i.e. sunspots and, if conditions are good, some granulation. The more experienced the observer, the more can be seen.

You will not see the prominences (explosions of plasma on the sun's limb, or edge) or filaments that are the bread and butter of solar images in magazines - not to mention the images from talented SGL members. To see those solar features requires dedicated equipment.

Nevertheless, I repeat, come on in.

I am sure you are very happy to hear that you can view the Sun with an appropriate filter on the front of your scope, but I will repeat that safety is the most essential element of the process. I would in the first instance buy a ready made filter so that you can see how it is done. Before starting out to observe the Sun read all the information on how to do this safely. Make notes. A list of all the do's and don't see and stick to it meticulously.

Hi Gareth, welcome to the forum!

I've recently started using my scope for viewing the sun with Baader film. It gives a lovely view, and it's quite addictive watching the sunspot evolve.

I'm not going to comment on using it with your scope specifically, because I'm not familiar with it and I don't want to give any dangerous advice, although it sounds like more experienced folks have answered it. What I would say with my experience of the solar film (and from seeing posts from two other folks who've recently started with solar and had near misses) is that the weakest link in the safety chain may well be the user! My normal packing away routine at night (remove eyepiece, replace adapter cover, replace front end dust cover, take scope inside) can be done in any order. With solar, you get the order wrong and it's dangerous. Best to stop and double check before each action you take.

Hopefully haven't put you off. It's beautiful watching our sun. Just take care :-)

Many thanks for all your advice:icon_biggrin:!

My Badder film has arrived in the post today and I'm just about to start making my filter. It's cloudy and raining where I live today so the next sunny day I'll be looking forward to giving it a try.

Much appreciated.

Gareth

Have fun making, and using, your filter.

Of course it's 'cloudy and raining' ! ...

... But if you can get it all together in time - and there is a clear spell - the sunspot we're all watching  avidly just now (AR2529) is well worth a view. But don't rush things. Be safe.

??

On ‎13‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 19:34, Gazmill said:

Many thanks for all your advice:icon_biggrin:!

My Badder film has arrived in the post today and I'm just about to start making my filter. It's cloudy and raining where I live today so the next sunny day I'll be looking forward to giving it a try.

Much appreciated.

Gareth

As long as you have it ready for the transit of mercury on May 9th ;) 

I bought meself an Astrozap filter for my Astromaster and I've actually done more solar observing than DSO observing. It's a great way to increase the amount of use you can get from even a low-spec scope (like what mine is) and the results can be stunning. As OneEyedSam mentioned, I'm really looking forward to the transit of Mercury next month! :-)

11 minutes ago, employee2-4601 said:

I bought meself an Astrozap filter for my Astromaster and I've actually done more solar observing than DSO observing. It's a great way to increase the amount of use you can get from even a low-spec scope (like what mine is) and the results can be stunning. As OneEyedSam mentioned, I'm really looking forward to the transit of Mercury next month! :-)

That's the same route I took into solar viewing: a chance to increase the interest; time with a telescope, and - my favourite pursuit - fun. Fingers crossed for clear skies on May 9. :thumbsup:

Archived