Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meade Rubbish ?

It is beginning to look like my decision to buy a EQ6 Pro Mount, was either a subconcious realization that the LX90 was not going to cut the mustard, or just bought because it looked so good. In any event, It looks like I will eventually need to put the 12" Meade OTA into some rings and a Dovetail, and stick it on the EQ6.

Another Meade owner is selling his LX200, for reasons I assume are it's not good enough for astro imaging. Richie has put his scope on the For Sale Board, together with an Image of the Orion Nebula which looks outstanding to me. So, I am a little perplexed, but there has to be other reasons I think.

Apart from that, I have read other discouraging reports on the Meade Scopes being not up to the mark, so it leaves me wondering why the hell I bought mine in the first place.

I am going to have to be a bit more careful about what I buy in future.

I wonder if Meade are aware of the discontent amongs owners of their instruments.

Ron. :grin: :crybaby:

Hi Ron,

may i ask if you've had problems with your LX90? I owned a brand new 8 inch LX90 about 4 years ago and it was a very good scope with faultless go to. I only sold it to go up to a C9.25.

I have to admit i really like celestrons, having owned 5 over the years, and i have gotten the impression that celestron's optics have always been very good,maybe having a slight edge on Meade. all mine have been really excellent.Having said that, i just exchanged a new c9.25 ota due to mechanical issue with the focusser.I think things have changed with the "big boys",i have emailed celestron support and never had the courtesy of an answer, whereas i contacted Astro Physics for some info and received a great personal response!

i feel that in a mass production scenario, you will always come across an example that is not up to standard totally. naturally we cannot all afford hand built scopes like AP, TEC etc, so we have to accept a typical mass produced standard from Meade and Celestron and others, but occasionally a gem can be found!

anyway, good luck with your plans.

regards

mike

I won't worry too much either then Ron :crybaby:

Jeff. :grin:

Can I join in and not worry with you as well ?

Steve..

I won't worry too much either then Ron :crybaby:

Jeff. :lol:

Can I join in and not worry with you as well ?

Steve..

No worries mate!

Jeff.

Dave Centroid has a meade and he turns out good images , we all have our preferences, after all the imaging is down to the skill of the operator ehehheheh

Rog

Trouble is Rog the dealer wouldn't sell me the skill with the scope, lol

Hi Ron,

may i ask if you've had problems with your LX90? I owned a brand new 8 inch LX90 about 4 years ago and it was a very good scope with faultless go to. I only sold it to go up to a C9.25.

I have to admit i really like celestrons, having owned 5 over the years, and i have gotten the impression that celestron's optics have always been very good,maybe having a slight edge on Meade. all mine have been really excellent.Having said that, i just exchanged a new c9.25 ota due to mechanical issue with the focusser.I think things have changed with the "big boys",i have emailed celestron support and never had the courtesy of an answer, whereas i contacted Astro Physics for some info and received a great personal response!

i feel that in a mass production scenario, you will always come across an example that is not up to standard totally. naturally we cannot all afford hand built scopes like AP, TEC etc, so we have to accept a typical mass produced standard from Meade and Celestron and others, but occasionally a gem can be found!

anyway, good luck with your plans.

regards

mike

Mike, It's good to hear from someone from the "It ain't as bad as it seems school".

Quite honestly, I have not tried my Meade to any great extent yet. I have spent so much time building up to an Imaging capability, Including an Observatory, harvesting all the paraphernalia I believed I should have in order to have a decent chance of succeeding in that effort.

All I have done, is some observing, mostly of the moon and Saturn, Saturn being the only planet available. Once I had reasonably collimated the scope, I am satisfied with that performance, although I know for sure more improvement of the optical accuracy is possible with some more tweaking on a star.

I have to confess, that most of my pessimism stems from the accounts given by others, either on this forum, or elsewhere. The people who have this dissatisfaction, must have it for good reason in my estimation. Why invent something like poor performance of your own scope.?

I know I will have to judge the instrument myself, and it won't be too long before that happens. The CP alignment needs to be sorted, and the motors trained, and all the other requirements attended to before a proper assessment can be made.

As I said, I am pleased enough with the optical quality, and if I can be as satisfied with the tracking performance, then I will be very pleased indeed. The only thing I would really worry about in the event that the whole thing turns sour, is, how do I sell it on, knowing full well it's a lemon, and ask for a price remotely near what I paid for it.

I know what the wife will say. "Serves you right for keeping it as an ornament for so long, you should have sorted this long ago. " And that is word for word I promise you. :grin:

Ron. :lol:

Erm.....I own a Meade LX90 and do

just fine. I hindsight i would have gone with a Celesron but

The Meade has always delivered for me, And has had me published a few times.

But i agree in pricipal that quiet a few faulty scopes i have looked at

for amatures were Meads.

As for My LX90 may i ask permission to join the worry board too :grin:

Ed

Hi again Ron,

I understand your concerns about resale value. For example, i recently purchased a new Tak Mewlon 210 with great expectations. It turned out not to be the scope for me, despite me having owned a classical cassegrain years ago. I lost nearly £500!

if the star test looks ok then the scope should perform well. I still believe many sct's are under performing due to collimation not spot on. in your case that does not seem to be the case.

right now just about most things are having to sell at low prices.

regards

mike

Archived