NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Guidescope Change

Just wondering if I would see any improvement in my imaging if I replaced my existing guidescope (9x50 finderscope that came with OTA) with an ST80?

Have recently started using a CCD so really do want to try and push for the longest exposurers that I can possibly get.

A 50 mm guide scope should do you fine. I have a similar guiding set-up and I (usually) get about 0.7" rms guiding error on my Az EQ6 mount.

Are you experiencing problems? I found that once everything was aligned and balanced, making sure that I got a good calibration near the celestial equator (0 degrees declination) made all the difference in my guiding.

What's your RMS guiding error? If it's about half of your pixel scale at the imaging camera you don't need to worry provided you're sure you have no flexure.

Some might say that, since a reflector can always have a little mirror movement, an OAG is best. Others might say, 'If it ain't broke don't fix it.'

Personally I avoid adjustable guide scope holders. You don't need to search for guide stars any more so I prefer to bolt my guidescope down nice and hard. It doesn't need to be centered.

Olly

I went the other way - from an ST80 to a converted finderscope.

Reasoning - less weight - less chance of flexure - no floppy focuser - no daft length adapter sticking out the back putting huge leverage on the sloppy focuser.

Does it work ? ........... well enough for me!

25844486520_1537e05214_o.jpg

Archived