Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing the Secret Deep + bit more

I recently purchased the Steve O'Meara book 'The Secret Deep' - I like his work which allows me to follow a particular observing list/programme and then cross reference the information contained in the book.

Last night I set up the new 12" Revelation and I was interested how it would perform on DSOs against other scopes that I have owned.

I started with Gemini and viewed the two clusters M35 and NGC 2158. This was followed by M1, Eskimo Neb and the Ghost of Jupiter. However, the main observing task was to view DSOs in the Secret Deep. I supported my observing with the S&T Pocket Atlas and the atlas Interstellarum which shows DSOs visible in 4", 8" and 12" scopes - great for picking up nearby galaxies to the Secret Deep.

My first group was NGC3166 and NGC3169 lovely pair with NGC3156 (not on list) nearby. Next NGC3226 and NGC3227 another pair with NGC3222 (not on list) nearby. I then viewed NGC3432, NGC4147, NGC4293 and NGC4414.

The Instellarum also allowed me to choose other DSOs which were NGC3115, NGC2903, M98, M99, NGC4262, M85, NGC4394 and finally NGC4203.

The Revelation Dob's performance was excellent and I was using the Explore Scientific 82 degree EPs and a Lumicon correct image finder which allowed the EPs to be changed. I mainly used 20mm 66 degree William Optics EPs for the finder.

Glad you are enjoying that dob. Any sign of the spiral arm in M99?

I am hoping to go out again tonight. There was a fair bit of high cloud yesterday.

Try ngc 4220...it looked great last night...it's a lovely edge on galaxy.

Mark

No Mark I can't say I saw spiral arms in M99. However, if it stays clear tonight I hope to visit 'The Box' - Hickson 61. I kept your handout from SGLX11 and I think its worth a try with the 12" - I think I might have a problem with NGC4173.

Thanks for the Heads Up on NGC4220 - I looked up the details in Ted Aranda's book on 3000 DSOs - so will give it a try.

Nice report Mark sounds like you had a very good session. I tend to find the Interstellarum atlas when it talks about what can be seen with a 12 inch scope assumes you are in the middle of a desert as I have had a stuggle with some targets with my 18 inch from a pretty dark site that I have.

2 minutes ago, alan potts said:

I tend to find the Interstellarum atlas when it talks about what can be seen with a 12 inch scope assumes you are in the middle of a desert as I have had a stuggle with some targets with my 18 inch from a pretty dark site that I have.

Yes I agree Alan. There were a few objects last night that should be visible in an 8" but I could not see them.

Very nice report Mark :icon_biggrin:

I think I might try and get Interstellarium, it sounds very useful :icon_biggrin:

It's good to have a theme or plan I think. There is so much stuff out there when the skies are dark with a decent size scope, it can be a bit bewildering. I have to admit though that my "plan" often consists of "Now, what is on the chart that not too far from the object that I've just found and observed ?". Not very scientific though :rolleyes2:

22 minutes ago, John said:

Very nice report Mark :icon_biggrin:

I think I might try and get Interstellarium, it sounds very useful :icon_biggrin:

It's good to have a theme or plan I think. There is so much stuff out there when the skies are dark with a decent size scope, it can be a bit bewildering. I have to admit though that my "plan" often consists of "Now, what is on the chart that not too far from the object that I've just found and observed ?". Not very scientific though :rolleyes2:

I can't believe you have not got a copy :shocked: it is a must in my books. I just find they are a bit optimistic with what a scope can see, I am sure they mark it up at theoretical limits which I guess is fine from the middle of Namibia. I tend to take 8 inch targets as 12 and 12's as maybes in the 18 inch, lets face it anything that faint is only going to be a small smudge of light.

Alan 

1 minute ago, alan potts said:

I can't believe you have not got a copy :shocked: it is a must in my books. I just find they are a bit optimistic with what a scope can see, I am sure they mark it up at theoretical limits which I guess is fine from the middle of Namibia. I tend to take 8 inch targets as 12 and 12's as maybes in the 18 inch, lets face it anything that faint is only going to be a small smudge of light.

Alan 

They see it is measured under a fairly dark sky. When I observed under a dark sky, I could see a 8" object with my 5" scope. At home I cannot see all 4" objects.

2 hours ago, alan potts said:

I can't believe you have not got a copy :shocked: it is a must in my books.

I'd not even heard of it until recently. I'd not used star atlas's until quite recently, believe it or not. I relied on Stellarium, Cartes du Ciel and online resources to find objects. The S&T Pocket Atlas was a bit of a revelation when it was given to me last Feburary - a hard copy star atlas that I could actually relate to !

I take a very laissez-faire approach to my astronomy to be honest Alan :rolleyes2:

A bad example of course !

12 hours ago, John said:

I'd not even heard of it until recently. I'd not used star atlas's until quite recently, believe it or not. I relied on Stellarium, Cartes du Ciel and online resources to find objects. The S&T Pocket Atlas was a bit of a revelation when it was given to me last Feburary - a hard copy star atlas that I could actually relate to !

I take a very laissez-faire approach to my astronomy to be honest Alan :rolleyes2:

A bad example of course !

John,

I got this Atlas on the back of a few pictures that Stu posted around Christmas 2014 and instantly I just liked the look of it, I like the way it groups the items as to what can be attempted into 4, 8 and 12 inch scopes, though objects are marked that are beyond that as not visible in a 12 inch but doesn't say in what.

I bought S&T Pocket Atlas on the back of your findings and it is very good as too is the new Cambridge Doubles Atlas, and very well worth the cost.

I also bought Nortons Atlas some time back which I really rated back in the 70's and the Cambridge normal atlas, both of which I am bitterly disappointed with and would be happy to give them away if only I knew someone here that could use them as sending them to England is out of the question, post outweighing value.

As for the way we do our astronomy I think you and I are much the same but when we write or review something we really try to go the extra mile to get it spot on.

Great report, Mark.  Glad you're enjoying that dob.  It punches significantly above its very reasonable price tag on DSOs.  

The Secret Deep is a lovely read, along with SJO'M's other books.  And I absolutely love Interstellarum - it's transformed my DSO hunting.

Paul

8 hours ago, alan potts said:

John,

I got this Atlas on the back of a few pictures that Stu posted around Christmas 2014 and instantly I just liked the look of it, I like the way it groups the items as to what can be attempted into 4, 8 and 12 inch scopes, though objects are marked that are beyond that as not visible in a 12 inch but doesn't say in what.

I bought S&T Pocket Atlas on the back of your findings and it is very good as too is the new Cambridge Doubles Atlas, and very well worth the cost.

I also bought Nortons Atlas some time back which I really rated back in the 70's and the Cambridge normal atlas, both of which I am bitterly disappointed with and would be happy to give them away if only I knew someone here that could use them as sending them to England is out of the question, post outweighing value.

As for the way we do our astronomy I think you and I are much the same but when we write or review something we really try to go the extra mile to get it spot on.

I've ordered a copy of Instellarium now - just the ordinary desk edition.

John,

That is the one I got the field copy was a silly price and there was a report on site of the plastic/paper failing in the field when dew was about.

I am sure you will fall for it the same way I did, age showing, I used to fall for pretty girls now it's Star Atlases.

Alan

No worries Alan part of my initial thread mentioned the Interstellarum Atlas. The thing I found useful was working to a specific target and then noting DSOs nearby. That arrangement is not so easy with many star atlases but it works well with the Interstellarum atlas. I have the desk copy as well and I take it together with my Uranometria volumns plus the S&T pocket atlas in a large plastic box when I go observing. I also use a large music stand to support these atlases - makes life so much easier.

So you sort of conduct observations:icon_biggrin:. I tend to use it that way too, Like the three fainter galaxies around M13 would have remained unknown by me had it not have been for this, I think one may be beyond a 12 inch though.

Alan.

3 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

... Hopefully, John we will do an observing session again together.

That would be excellent Mark :icon_biggrin:

I think I'll hang on to Uranometria as well.

Archived