Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which Camera - Again - But - Minimum Spec For Both Solar System and Deep Sky

Sorry if this seems a repeat of other similar questions but I'm looking for advice.

I've got a reasonable budget for a USB camera but want one that's good for both Planets, Moon and some Deep Sky to use with Skywatcher 127 Skymax with GoTo and 2x Barlow if needed.

Tried using my Sony A57 with good results on the moon but limited success on Jupiter ...got to try again.

I've done some digging and it seems that for a budget of up to £200 a colour cam seems OK for solar system but then there seems to be a big step (£300++) for those that are good for deep sky as well or am I missing something.

I understand active cooling for low noise etc will add to the cost but it seems to be a big gap between the two. Or, are there cameras that will be good for solar but "OK" for deep sky.

Basically, I don't want to buy a camera and be disappointed with deep sky performance but not spend more than I need.

Sorry - bit of a long post but new to the hobby - as much as anything I've never had a decent telescope and finding stuff fascinating and want to share what I can see.

You want a car that's good for the Monaco Grand Prix, the Monte Carlo Rally and trips with four kids to Sainsbury's. You won't find it. I wish that you could, but you won't. I'm only experienced in deep sky so I think the planetary experts will give you the best overall advice regardg how close you can really get.

Olly

What you need is a webcam for some elementary planetary imaging. For dso imaging you are going to need a totally different scope and much more substantial mount. The most helpful suggestion I can make is, obtain a copy of "Making Every Photon Count" by Steve Richards which will help you to understand what astro photography is all about and which bits of equipment do what. Hth :)

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

Thanks for the advice - I was really looking for a colour camera as a starter rather than Mono and filters - too much too soon? Does a monochrome have better deep sky performance because its mono or does mono & filters just give more flexibility to target colours etc?

The ZWO ASI 120 colour looks interesting.....temped....

1 hour ago, Biglewey said:

Thanks for the advice - I was really looking for a colour camera as a starter rather than Mono and filters - too much too soon? Does a monochrome have better deep sky performance because its mono or does mono & filters just give more flexibility to target colours etc?

The ZWO ASI 120 colour looks interesting.....temped....

Your scope and mount are much more suited to planetary and lunar imaging because you are using a slow f/ratio, long focal length, and an alt/az mount. Therefore I would go with the colour version as a beginner and learn your craft on those targets.

The mono is more sensitive because you don't have a Bayer matix infront of the sensor. Mono will show deep sky objects more easily and in better resolution (although this is limited by the seeing conditions in reality). The down side beng that they will be in black and white of course. To get the colour you can shoot through red, green, blue filters and blend them together with software such as Photoshop. Mono tends to give more detailed/better results but you have more steps to accomplish this with all the filters and extra processing needed.

As a beginner I would just opt for the colour version if in stock. They didn't have the colour version in stock when I bought mine, but I kind of wanted to experiment with deep sky imaging with this camera, plus mono on the Moon and Sun (with correct filter) will have better resolution, so I was happy to go with the Mono for now.

I have exactly the same telescope as you and I have a ASI120MC these are some of the pictures I have got just as an example of what you can get. I would recommend this camera to anybody! 

However I have no experience of deep sky as I am new to this hobby! 

00_26_24a.jpg

00_14_27a.jpg

Another option is the DSLR which can also be used for any photography not just astro,  I have the Canon eos 1200d at around £230, many people don't rate dslr's but I have had good results with planetary and deep sky. From wide angle full constellations to double stacked barlow images. I operate my camera via my pc and canon program,  also I can operate the camera from my tablet if I'm away from home.  

This is my gallery below, the dso's were taken using canon, all single shot with no darks or bias, no longer than 40 second exp and alt az goto.

I also  have the Orion all in one webcam, great for planets and moon, ok for dso, good for guiding  ( not used yet ) can be used as finder cam and security cam. 

I prefer the dslr.

All this is fine if your scope is suitable for dslr's. 

I know it's not what your looking for but an option.

Nige.

Thanks again for the advice - Ive got a Sony A57 but not really tried it fully yet.  The main snag is getting it focussed since the live view doesn't seem good enough to get a sharp picture - but trying again soon when wee get some clear sky.

Did some shots with just std lens on to capture constellations - I didn't realise how orange the sky was from street lights in my built up area......

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, Biglewey said:

Temped by Altair GPCAM V2 IMX224 Colour . Any comments on suitability for my needs. Planets, moon and "easy" DSOs bearing in mind its my first camera.

I've just bought this camera, but sadly had a run of cloudy nights ever since lol so still waiting to use it.

However it does have the very sensitive Sony exmor sensor and sample images I've seen look promising :)

Finally got an hour to try the GPCamV2 last night, before cloud rolled in.

it worked great, only managed to test it on the Moon, but picture quality was impressive.

Altair Capture software is very easy to use, even though there's no manual provided, I was able to get the settings right myself with no problems :)  I'll post a pic from the session once I've stacked it etc.

• 1 month later...

Looks like I'm kind of late to this party.    So I'll most likely be repeating what's been said already.

Solar system imaging is almost a completely different problem to dso imaging.   In a way it's alot easier to image planets than it is to capture the DSO's.

Here's my experience locked up in a handle little nutshell.

1. Lunar/Planets/Solar

Short exposure shots, High magnification required, so long focal lengths are needed.  As the exposures are short, a webcam will yield great results.  I've been using a Philips Tucam Pro II for years and have found no need to upgrade.

Imaging the sun is tricky as it's an ever changing surface and there's always contrast issues - i mean viewing the laptop screen.

2. Deep sky

For this you need long exposure shots.  This brings a whole heap of problems.... tracking, you'll need to guide if you want anything longer than a couple of seconds (scope dependent).  Dew will be an issue as long sessions means dewing is likely.  Focusing becomes harder, as the image is dim, so you'd do well to get a Bhatinov mask and have patience setting up the scope.   DSO's are much later than you'd think, so you'll need to capture a larger fov than when imaging saturn or mars.   Long sessions also means that you'd need to make sure that your power supply will last the course, don't forget late night in the dark means cold.  Batteries don't like this, so will be a factor.

Whilst they are two different diciplines, it is possible to use the same scope for both.   I use a Meade LX-90 from 2002.  It's great for the planets and excellent for DSO's as well.  The long exposures are long though.  Without a Focal reducer the scope is at F10.  With it'll image at F6.3.  For planetary mode, I can put in a 2x or 3x barlow lens and image at F10, F20 or F30 depending on my target.   Really long focal lengths, are ok with a really small sensor that you get in a Webcam. ;-)

The compromise is that my scope isn't a master of anythng, it's a jack of all trades.  So I don't expect award winning photos from it.

Archived