Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rosette Rework

gnomus

I think the new one is way better. The stars are smaller with better colour, the background has less noise and a far more neutral colour and the green tinge has gone. In the nebula there's a nicer range of brightnesses, the original having too much range concentrated in the brightest parts so that local contrasts were flattened. Good dusty structures are showing in the background. Great stuff.

The only thing I'd want to work on would be the strange offset in the red channel. (We're more used to seeing this afflict blue.) Particularly in the left hand side of the image the red stars have an extra red edge 'overhanging' the main star. Maybe the seeing/transparency on the night for the red shoot? A possible fix would be to extract a red layer from a copy and run Noel's star reduction on it, then recombine. Overall it might not look great but it could look better in places. Put it as a layer underneath and use the beloved eraser! Alternatively you could find those red edges with the colour select tool and just drop the saturation right down.

Olly

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

I think the new one is way better. The stars are smaller with better colour, the background has less noise and a far more neutral colour and the green tinge has gone. In the nebula there's a nicer range of brightnesses, the original having too much range concentrated in the brightest parts so that local contrasts were flattened. Good dusty structures are showing in the background. Great stuff.

The only thing I'd want to work on would be the strange offset in the red channel. (We're more used to seeing this afflict blue.) Particularly in the left hand side of the image the red stars have an extra red edge 'overhanging' the main star. Maybe the seeing/transparency on the night for the red shoot? A possible fix would be to extract a red layer from a copy and run Noel's star reduction on it, then recombine. Overall it might not look great but it could look better in places. Put it as a layer underneath and use the beloved eraser! Alternatively you could find those red edges with the colour select tool and just drop the saturation right down.

Olly

Thanks for the kind words Olly.  I don't know how I missed those duff stars.  I think I've fixed them now (took a couple of hours mind).  How is this?

Rosette_Reprocess_Stars Repaired_Fin.png

So much nicer! This is an exceptional Rosette which is rich in outlying fluffy nebulosity. It would be next season but I think you'd find an OIII layer would add variety to the main nebul's colour.

A lot of people must be hoping that the replacement for the Star 71 will be as good as this.

Olly

Great pictures,  really liking your star colour/control, combined with that fantastic contrast in the nebula.....its a winner for me :icon_salut:

edit

just looked at the old picture, you've blew it out the water with this.

well done

1 minute ago, swag72 said:

Looking good Steve - You clearly have this imaging lark totally licked :D

Thanks Sara - far from 'licked' I am afraid - however, a short time ago I climbed a mountain and made an offering to the oracle (or should that be 'Olly-cle'?)

48 minutes ago, cardconvict said:

Well done this is a beautiful image and is one of my favourites now I love the rich colours of the stars I could stare at your pictures for sometime cracking image.

That is an extremely gracious thing to say.  Thank you.

Archived