NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Moon and shadow transits 25th March

kerrylewis

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, kerrylewis said:

More moon and shadow transits tonight but starting before sunset and finished by 20.30 so Jupiter will be quite low. 

Thanks for the "heads up" Kerry. In my case Jupiter will be behind the local houses and trees still at 20:30, unfortunately.

I'll still get a scope out if it's clear though.

Thanks Kerry!  Here we go on the roller coaster ride again:  will it be clear I hope?!!!  Worth cooling little ED80 in case. I'm temporarily without the big glass at the moment. 

Failing this, I was hoping for Saturn this weekend. 

I've managed to get a scope on Jupiter in time to see a couple of moon shadows still on the disk, one on each edge of the NEB with one shadow much in advance of the other in it's progress across the disk.

Thank goodness for refractors on tall tripods that can peer over fences and around trees !

Nope, couldn't see it. But now Europa has cleared the limb and visible. I backed off to to 85x and image is crisp. What strikes me is already how far the moon is from its shadow compared to a few weeks back when they were adjacent at opposition. Nag31 and the double cluster are beckoning but this has been lovely. 

Lovely show. Double shadow transit and watched each moon leave the disc in turn. Now he moons look strangely 'out of line' tonight compared with their usual appearance. One shadow still on the disc and some lovely detail in the belts. Hoping it stays clear until the appearance of the GRS. Will I ever tire of the Jupiter Show? 

9 minutes ago, kerrylewis said:

Lovely show. Double shadow transit and watched each moon leave the disc in turn. Now he moons look strangely 'out of line' tonight compared with their usual appearance. One shadow still on the disc and some lovely detail in the belts. Hoping it stays clear until the appearance of the GRS. Will I ever tire of the Jupiter Show? 

I never seem to tire of it !

You are right about the slightly unusual arrangement of the moons tonight - not the reasonably straight line that we are used to seeing.

The GRS starts it's transit at around 9:20 pm I think so I'm hoping to catch a good chunk of that. The cloud layer might interfere though if it thickens much more.

By the time I got outside I'd just missed Io's shadow as it had just slipped off Jupiter, but managed to see Europas' shadow when the seeing was steady. Was just starting to see Europa emerging again when hi altitude muck started blocking the view. At least I got to see a little of the fireworks none the less. :) 

It's still clearish here and the GRS is on the disk (just) but the seeing is not at all stable. 130x is about the max I can use and get any sort of clear image with my ED120 and the colours / contrasts seem rather washed out compared to a few nights back. Double stars that the scope can normally split fairly easily are proving tough - a sure sign of something "up there" getting in the way !

19 minutes ago, John said:

It's still clearish here and the GRS is on the disk (just) but the seeing is not at all stable. 130x is about the max I can use and get any sort of clear image with my ED120 and the colours / contrasts seem rather washed out compared to a few nights back. Double stars that the scope can normally split fairly easily are proving tough - a sure sign of something "up there" getting in the way !

Not had a chance with Jupiter tonight John, but the seeing was pretty flakey whilst solar observing today so I'm not surprised it's not great tonight. At least you got some observing in I guess ?

11 minutes ago, Stu said:

Not had a chance with Jupiter tonight John, but the seeing was pretty flakey whilst solar observing today so I'm not surprised it's not great tonight. At least you got some observing in I guess ?

Thats true Stu - it's better than nothing for sure :icon_biggrin:

5 hours ago, kerrylewis said:

This must have been the moment at which I stumbled into the theatre. Saw the oddly-aligned gaggle of moons and the single shadow. Stayed on to watch most of the GRS transit. Another fantastic showing.

I respectfully nominate Kerry for the title of "Mr. Jupiter".

I watched the show through from about 6:45 to 8:00 using my grab 'n go so I could position myself to avoid a heating plume from a neighbour's chimney. As usual, an amazing sight with very tight shadows although the seeing in general was fairly horrific. It hazed over as the GRS started to appear and then the seeing deteriorated even further. Jupiter is amazing!

Chris

7 hours ago, iPeace said:

This must have been the moment at which I stumbled into the theatre. Saw the oddly-aligned gaggle of moons and the single shadow. Stayed on to watch most of the GRS transit. Another fantastic showing.

I respectfully nominate Kerry for the title of "Mr. Jupiter".

I respectfully suggest there might be quite a few 'Mr Jupiters' on the forum ?

24 minutes ago, Stu said:

I respectfully suggest there might be quite a few 'Mr Jupiters' on the forum ?

Indeed, and I'm confident they will feel the value of the title increases with the addition of worthy nominees. :grin:

Archived