SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

groupon offer on sheds

Nillchill

Beware though - although where specified, dimensions are metric I think the main dimensions are in FEET not metres!!  They don't seem to say.

To  be honest for that price it will most likely be stapled together. The wood is very thin and a floor specified as 10mm is far to thin to have any strength. You pay for what you get. I would think most of the cost is in the labour making  it.

Derek

I've said it before, a garden shed with the roof off to allow access to the sky is as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike, utterly useless; a blancmange has more rigidity.....  I know this from experience.  To adapt a garden shed needs so much bracing for when the roof rolls off that you may as well build a proper roll-off building in the first place. 

Not sure on the quality of the shed in the op's posts but as with most things cost is related to quality. I will however once again disagree with sentiments regarding the amount of effort/bracing etc required to convert a ready supplied shed or garden building to a roll-off roof observatory.  As with the amount of concrete required to make a suitable pier foundation it appears that this is another area subject to misinformation and exaggeration.   A prefabricated shed or garden building of suitable quality is a relatively simple matter to convert with basic diy skills to ensure more than adequate rigidity. My octagonal obsy has been serving me well now for 2 years, in that time it has withstood the worse of two Scottish winters (gale force winds) and summers lol.  It remains completely dry, free from mould and condensation. The frame is rigid enough to support both static and dynamic loads of the roof.  When observing with roof off, I quite often steady myself at the eyepiece and on the step by bracing against the walls,  I experience no discernable movement.  In the end, I guess it comes down to the quality of your purchased shed, but please make no mistake, ready made sheds, garden outbuildings, workshops are more than suitable for conversion and will often lend to an attractive alternative to the "shed" format.  Cost is king though, so do your homework but certainly don't dismiss the option out of hand.

Jim

Archived