Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eastern Veil Reprocess

gnomus

No imaging time for a few days so I thought I'd have a go at reprocessing some old data from November 2015.  This is  6 x 1200 seconds Ha, 9 x 1200 seconds OIII combined as HOO.  The imaging rig was an ED80 and Atik 383L.  The November attempt can be found here: https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/256888-eastern-veil/#comment-2807991

I think this is an improvement.  

HOO_P6_1800px.thumb.png.0934c67d02213fc6

I think they are both beautiful! Amazing how different the same data can be presented, not even the background sky looks the same. The stars are much tighter in the new version.

Just out of curiosity, did you flip it to make a fresh start?

3 minutes ago, gorann said:

I think they are both beautiful! Amazing how different the same data can be presented, not even the background sky looks the same. The stars are much tighter in the new version.

Just out of curiosity, did you flip it to make a fresh start?

Thanks all for the kind words.  I didn't intend to flip it - it just came out that way in the new program I am using to stack (old: PI; new: AA).  I must have some box ticked.  I think I prefer it in the current orientation.

1 minute ago, Knighty2112 said:

I get a great 3D view by putting on an old pair of 3D glasses! It really jumps out at you! Hehe! ;) 

Yes.... I think it looks a little like the beast that jumps out of John Hurt's chest in 'Alien' - or perhaps my son has put something odd in my tea!  I'd better not risk the 3D glasses.

Regarding orientation, it could be argued that there is a correct one = the one it would have if we look up at the sky with our naked eyes. I think the first version was like that. That would be important if you make enormous mosaics of Orion to show the public. On the other hand, looking through a telescope with a star diagonal, it would look like your second version (if our eyes could take 1200" exposures in Ha and OIII)

11 minutes ago, gorann said:

Regarding orientation, it could be argued that there is a correct one = the one it would have if we look up at the sky with our naked eyes. I think the first version was like that. That would be important if you make enormous mosaics of Orion to show the public. On the other hand, looking through a telescope with a star diagonal, it would look like your second version (if our eyes could take 1200" exposures in Ha and OIII)

Yes - fascinating.  The FITS files are 'correctly' orientated, but when I stack them in AstroArt it comes out flipped.  I've only just started using AA - can anyone advise why this is happening ad how it can be fixed?  (I know I can just flip the image, but if I can avoid having to do this it would be better).  Here are my AA PreProcessing settings:

AAscreen.thumb.jpg.45a98343cfd38dce7ae46

That's really rather tasty!

I've been thinking about the Veil since doing our Seagull together a couple of weeks ago. The big difference is that the Veil does contain real blue reflection nebulosity not contained in the OIII, even though the OIII can be mapped to green and blue. How to bring in the blue data without upsetting the small narrowband stars? If I knew I'd be rich, but I'm thinking about it...

Olly

3 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

That's really rather tasty!

I've been thinking about the Veil since doing our Seagull together a couple of weeks ago. The big difference is that the Veil does contain real blue reflection nebulosity not contained in the OIII, even though the OIII can be mapped to green and blue. How to bring in the blue data without upsetting the small narrowband stars? If I knew I'd be rich, but I'm thinking about it...

Olly

Do you think you will have the answer by October?  

Just now, gnomus said:

Do you think you will have the answer by October?  

Possibly. Experimenting with the Veil is my personal summer priority. The simple way would be to hit the two main arcs and Pickering's Triangle in RGB with the TEC for an image otherwise made at lower resolution with the Taks. But I wonder if we might not stand image processing on its head by adding the blue channel, without stars, in blend mode lighten, to an RGBHaOIIIOIII like the Seagull. Thinking aloud here. 

Olly

Archived