Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter on 21.3.2016

Chipela

I started practicing planetary imaging just a few days ago and this is my second try on Jupiter. First night didn't go that well but I think this came out very nicely, what do you think? :)

Two questions:

Do you think Powermate 5x would work with my 6" scope and give a bigger and better image or would that just lead to a bigger but softer image? I.e. is my setup already resolution limited?

Do you see any immediate problems in post processing?

Best regards and thanks!

--

Very good seeing, Skywatcher 6" f/5, Televue Barlow 3x, ASI120MC, Firecapture + AutoStakkert + RegiStax + Photoshop

jupiter.jpg.c2f67a0f6dbfaf5810a7fcca0757

Sorry, can't answer your questions but just wanted to say what a great image that is with a 6" scope. 

Will be interested to read other replies as I'm looking to buy a Barlow or power mate to give me planetary imaging capability (been mainly DSO and lunar so far). 

Once again, great image v

That's a really nice image, well done .

I believe the ASi works best at f20 to f25 so a 3 x gives you f15 and the 5x f25 so possibly too much . 

You could try an old Barlow with no lens as an extension after the televue maybe ?

The distance between barlow and sensor increases magnification a bit ...

It's amazing what one can do with quite modest equipment!

I think the biggest single factor (with this image) was great seeing, I was able to keep 50% of the 5000 image stack so there is quite much fine detail.

Nice result. The ASI120MC has rather smaller pixels than e.g. the ASI174, or the DMK21. It works best between F/15 and F/20, I find. In my C8 I never combined it with my 2.5x PowerMate, but used the 2x TeleXtender instead. As you are using a Barlow rather than PowerMate, you could simply increase the distance between Barlow lens and chip (with an extension tube). This should increase magnification without needing much expense. If it works, you can always opt for a 4x Barlow. I think 5x would be too much

Thanks for all nice comments and special thanks to knobby, CraigT82 and Michael for pointing out the option to add distance between Barlow and sensor.

I have seen the graph by Televue (linked to by CraigT82) but somehow overlooked it because my thinking has been that proper focusing dictates the distance of the elements of the optical train. It's kind of a new concept to me that magnification can be adjusted by an extension tube and focus can still be reached.

Archived