NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A Great Session.

Astro Imp

Observation 18.55 to 21.10 17th March 2016
Scope used Skywatcher 150P with Celestron X-Cel LX 5mm eyepiece giving x150 Magnification. 

I don't intend to bore with descriptions of everything seen but will concentrate on the highlights.

Started with one of the showpiece craters Clavius, the view to-night was one of the best I have had as Clavius had just emerged into the morning light with only the eastern rim in shadow. There was so much to enjoy here that I spent a long time taking it all in. Among the features I noticed was what looked to be a couple of raised, almost small ridges going from crater C towards the northern rim. On the southern wall west of Rutherford there appeared to be a couple of distinct outcrops that were nicely picked out by the oblique lighting. Rutherford itself was mainly in shadow with sun just hitting the top of the central peak. This area was showing so many features that wherever I looked there was something to attract the attention.

I made my way down the terminator stopping at Maginus, Tycho and Pitatus before pausing at Rupes Recta, a firm favourite with most of us Lunatics.

The trio of Arzachel, Alphonsus and Ptolemaeus were worthy of examination and I was struck by how flat and even the floor of the latter appeared, I did however note Ammonius and to the west Ptolemaeus D a small crater of only 2 miles diameter which was right on the edge of visibility.

Next as I am attempting the Lunar 100 I went west to crater Davy to observe No 51 on the list. Apart from the main crater Davy A I was unable to identify the required chain.

Last month at this phase I saw what looked an interesting feature but was unable to observe properly as I was clouded out. I searched this out again and found the craters Pallas and Murchison to the south east of Eratosthenes. These two craters are worth spending some time with as Pallas is pretty complete with Pallas A on its north west rim whereas Murchison is in a sorry state. Pallas intrudes in the north west and the majority of the rest of the walls are very degraded. According to the Virtual Moon Atlas the lava from Sinus Medii has flowed in at the south east.

I finished my observations with a quick tour of the Alpes looking at the Alpine Valley and then across to Plato and Mons Pico.

A very enjoyable couple of hours.

If you followed me this far thank you for your forebearance.

Nice report. I generally don't observe the moon much but spent quite a bit of time on it tonight and it was mesmerising. I didn't attempt to identify everything as there are so many interesting features. I did notice rupees recta and what looked like  a rille in the same fov at a right angle to it.

Excellent stuff Alan !

I spent a happy 90 minutes observing the Moon as well earlier. Lovely phase and illumination. I was able to study the Hadley Rille and environs in some detail at rather high magnification. Nice to imagine the Apollo 15 LEM platform and Rover still there.

Great stuff! Your moon reports are top notch. I rarely post on the moon because I don't feel I can do it justice.

It was hit/miss for me on the Davy Catena last night with the SW250 at 180x (assuming I was looking in the right place). Spotted about four small craters in a line, but got the impression there were loads more smaller ones that were just beyond what I could see. The seeing was reasonable, and I wondered whether more mag would help?

I have never been much of lunar observer, at least recently, but I did spend a happy hour in the twilight yesterday mainly, I must confess, as there was nothing else to observe. However, I was surprised; there was a lot to see. I too must dust off the Lunar 100 and try and find my around a bit. 

Thanks for the report Alan - it's given me the impetus to rejoin the 'Lunatics' although some will say I never really left! 

To all of you who have replied favourably thank you.

I would urge those of you who have an interest in the moon to give the Luna 100 a try, it was what first grab my interest although with my limited aperture I'm struggling with some of the more obscure objects but will persevere.

BTW my score has now reached 80/100.

Good luck to you all.

Archived