Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter GRS

The first time I saw Jupiter I'm not going to lie I got emotional. I don't even know why I mean it's a planet. I had just looked forward to being able to see Jupiter for myself for the first time with my OWN eyes.

I have viewed Jupiter on several occasions since then but I never saw the GRS. I figured my scope just wasn't good enough to see the GRS. 

Fast forward to last night... I just took out the scope for a quick glance at Jupiter then I would bring it back in. Who knew I'de be out there for several hours. This time I could see the spot. Maybe I just had bad timing but this was the first time I've seen it. 

This tiny blurry dot on one of the cloud bands somehow mesmerized me. I just couldn't stop looking and I really don't know why. It's just a small faint orange dot but it was so interesting! :)

Just wanted to share my experience!

Congratulations and welcome to the club.  Even though I first observed the GRS many years ago, I still get a thrill every time I happen to see it.  I try to keep away from checking out when it will be visible, I like to be surprised by it, like last night.  It does seem to be much smaller and less pronounced than I recall it being twenty years ago.

Every time I think I've seen everything Jupiter has to offer, he reveals something new to me.  Last night he revealed to me the best views I have had yet of the South Temperate Zone and South South Temperate Belt.  I'm sure that if the seeing had been just a little bit better I would have been able to detect white ovals in the area, if any had been present.

Congratulations! Jupiter is a wonderful first target which will remain in your memories for many and many years!

I saw it when I was 15 with my Newton 114 F8 at 3am and got so much hooked that I went back and back to watch it every night it was clear for a few months. ..and then Saturn came out... :) 

19 minutes ago, Mak the Night said:

The constantly shifting positions of the Galilean moons is always interesting. I'm never sure about viewing Saturn's moons.

There are more Saturnian moons on show to the amateur scope. I've seen 6 with my 12" dob. I think 4 or 5 can be seen with a 4" scope.

Yea I don't know about Saturn, but for about a month I plotted the changing positions of the moons on Jupiter. 

They are all obviously visible and i feel like I can see movement even over the course of a few hours!

Archived