Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My First Use / Viewing - Jupiter - Skywatcher Star Dicsovery 150p

carlpenn

On Monday (7th March) night, being a clear and somewhat chilly night, I grabbed the opportunity to set up and have a first look with my new Star Discovery 150p.

Being a complete Astronomy virgin, I will say honestly, I had the greatest time ever!

The Skywatcher was extremely easy to use in freedom find, I managed with the use of Stellarium, to locate Jupiter and with a little faff and cussing spent a good Hour / Hour and a half watching Jupiter ascend from behind my House into the night sky. First using the provided 25mm Eyepiece, I studied and (attempted to) track Jupiter Manually, then feeling more confident swapped over to the provided 10mm Eyepiece, somewhat harder to track but a well deserved view. With the 10mm ep I could just make out the cloud stripes and more amazingly (for me anyway) I could see all four of Jupiters moons, my Son was vey excited too, though the cold night got the better of him and we hadn't really prepared ourselves for that (I was still in my Slippers!!) Light pollution will always be a problem for me where I live, so I have to make the best of what I can get. I live in a small built up area and have other houses and streetlights and a person who has one of those 'Security Lights' that are brighter than the Sun :p 

I have this evening while still light, played with the Laser / Red Dot Finder as I was slightly off target on Monday, I think I have pretty much got it lined up now.

All in all, for me, I think I had a very successful first attempt and more importantly, I had a lot of fun and a big smile on my face alongside the excitement of seeing Jupiter for the first time without it being a picture :D

I do have some questions and will be posting them in the appropriate forums as I go along :) 

Glad you and your son enjoyed the views. I was out Monday night too, and boy was it chilly. I have on the odd occasion also popped out to do a quick session with my binos or one of my small 'fracs with my slippers on too, but these tend mostly to be on slightly warm nights! Hehe! :) 

13 minutes ago, Pondus said:

Congrats with Your first light. I`ll bet you and Your kid will have best of moments when the moon comes around again.

Rune

Yes, That is something I am very much looking forward too :)

59 minutes ago, andrew63 said:

It's a great sight, ever changing with belts and moons.  Enjoy the view, and don't forget to look for Saturn, which rises later in the night - will blow both of your socks off !

andrew

A friend of mine through the TR Drivers club has said that seeing Saturn will change my life :D I cannot wait :p:D 

Archived