Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter with DSLR

Tommohawk

Hi all.

Have just acquired a Powermate x5 and was detemined to see how it compared to my BST x3 4 lens apo, even though the weather didnt look to good. Also trying to fit it in between catching up with the track cycling and Arsenal v. Spurs. 

Set up went well for a change, and I managed to snatch a few 3 minute MOVs between the clouds - but I didn't get  a single one that was clear right through, so I reckon I could maybe do better. Less turbulence than my last effort though - not sure if that's sky or scope. Clouded over completely  before the GRS came fully into view.

I like the powermate - defo more mag than the BST (yes I know its x5 v. x3, but the quoted mags are a bit variable) and nice bright image. 

EOS 550D video crop mode, ISO400, 1/60sec exposures, SW200P, Powermate 5x, single 3 minute MOV, PIPP to convert to AVI, AS!2 to produce initial image, WinJUPOS, back to AS!2 to stack best 4%, Registax for wavelets, PS for random fiddle. Over processed I think, but having been on it a while am going a bit ga-ga so time to quit. Half of Ganymede in this effort - might redo it without crop.

I don't think I can do a lot better with the 200 aperture, but will have another go when the skies clear again. If Jupiter still exists then. 

Hope you like it.

2016-03-06-0058_2-MVI_2322_pipp-DeRot_g4

Thanks all for the positive comments.

All my prior planetary efforts have been with the SW200 + 3x BST barlow. I did a couple of images with a 4000mm EFL scope (no barlow) and was surprised to find the image was about the same size as the 3x barlowed SW images. From this I concluded that the BST barlow is probably nearer to 4x when set up. So, I was a bit concerned that the powermate might not give much further increase - but its about 50% larger, so I guess about 6x mag.

5 hours ago, Grotemobile said:

The Powermate 5x, can give U, about 8x of mag.

Nice pict.:thumbsup: by the way.

http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=53&Tab=_app

Steve.

That link was interesting - I dont think I'm quite getting x7.7, but whatever it is its pretty good! And, as I mentioned, surprisingly bright - previously I'd used either 200 or 400 ISO, and with the powermate still used only 400ISO. In fact, if it hadnt been so cloudy I reckon 200 would have done.

One other thing puzzles me. The 1/60 second exposure seems too long - you'd think any movement would create too much blur at this speed - but in the past I tried using 800ISO, as I would for DSOs, and 1/120th second exposures but no benefit with this.

Also, I'm puzzled that the recommended exposure time for Jupiter with a CCD is about 1/10th second (for F25), if I understand it right. So how am I getting away with 1/60th on a DSLR?

Archived