NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New observatory

recceranger

Well, after much planing I managed to get it built for the community.  Many thanks to Armed Forces Community Covenant for funding, Pulsar Observatories and Shropshire Astronomical Society for all their support throughout.

I really hope it inspires the kids

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks mate.  I already had a stargazing day attended by Shropshire Astro Society.  They are now going to run an event at our location 1st Saturday of every month.  Additionally Adams Grammar students studying GCSE Astronomy are going to use it for their projects.  All looking good. 

However, no reward greater than a kid going "WOW" upon seeing Jupiter!

Looks like a dream come true (and a lot of work behind the scenes getting there), congratulations!

I'm hoping to start some very basic outreach this year with schools here in rural Chile, the school year is just beginning and in a couple of months it will be dark enough to observe in the early evening. If I can build up some solid support slowly, who knows, maybe I can do something similar in a few years.

That looks rather splendid; well done. When I (finally) get around to completing my own observatory, as an ex soldier I am thinking of offering some R&R evenings for ex service personnel suffering from post traumatic stress disorder. The idea is to provide some quiet, calm evenings viewing particularly for those who find it difficult to switch off or sleep at night.

That's a superb idea Andy. Although if your looking to help combat PTSD be aware that after going through the process of getting the observatory built that's exactly what I'm suffering. Lol

If you are using it for this sort of outreach let me know. I can advise you on funding streams that could help.

Rick

Very nice observatory with some great pics. You have taken a big step,but you won't regret it. Here are some pics of mine which is not a Pulsar but superb quality never the less. The more you use it the more you'll love it.

Best and clear skies to you.

ps. Is that a 6" or  8" Cass you have in there?.................Dave

More Orbsey 001.jpg

More Orbsey 002.jpg

Inside Orbsey 005.jpg

More Orbsey 003.jpg

More Orbsey 004.jpg

More Orbsey 006.jpg

Inside Orbsey 004.jpg

Inside Orbsey 005.jpg

Inside Orbsey 010.jpg

Archived