Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Gutenburg sketch

Andrew*

a perfectly clear sky yesterday evening with a pretty crescent moon perched at a pleasant altitude called my scope out of hibernation.

Viewing through my Meade 14mm UWA and 2" 2x barlow, a little group of craters and mountains caught my attention. What an opportunity to make my first sketch I thought!

I found a scrap of paper and an HB pencil and got to work. It was a fantastic experience, and I was able to observe much more than if I had simply been viewing it.

Gutenburg and Goclenius: day 5.

Scope: ED80

Eyepiece: 14mm UWA and 2x barlow (86x magnification). And 6mm Nagler zoom (100x)

Conditions: daylight, poor seeing.

6541_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Here's a photo of the same area for comparison. I failed to discern peak detail on the floors of Gutenburg, probably because it was quite far from the terminator and too well lit (this is ideally a day 4 object).

6542_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Eli came along too and had a peek through the scope and at my sketch. She was impressed enough by both to also have a quick go (identification please?):

6543_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Andrew

very well sketched, been reading tutorials online including one by tal i think that tell you how to do craters etc. but so far they don't look half as good as yours mate, keep going.

:D Looks good!! Do you have a red filter? It helps improve lunar contrast during daylight hours, and also helps tame the baby blue skywash.

I'm usually pretty good at identifying features.. is the orientation of Eli's sketch the same as yours, and is the curve 1) the edge of the fov or 2) the limb?

Thanks algol and John for the comments :D I was pretty pleased what came out. Of course there are some imaginitive fabrications. e.g. I don't know how the double rimmed crater became so :?

Hi Carol, and thanks for the tip.

I corrected my sketch to compensate for the reversed telescopic image, but I didn't with Eli's. The curve is the limb. Her sketch was a 3-minute do, as a game so that I could identify what she saw. I looked in the eyepiece and her sketch was pretty much bang on in terms of positioning of the craters. Looking at a moon map later though, I couldn't sus it. :D

cheers

Andrew

Thanks Ian and Matt for your compliments

I really must attempt this myself

I kept on saying that to myself, but suddenly I had this strange urge to just DO IT! I probably "should" have got out proper pencils and stuff, but I just decided to keep it simple with an HB and a scrap of paper that I ripped off.

Andrew

Andrew, that's an excellent sketch. Thanks for sharing it with us! btw i have another Meade 14 UWA on the way, stunning eyepiece for lunar views, i was missing the one i sold!

I am certainly pleased with it!

Andrew, They are really nice sketches - I think there's a bit of talent coming out there! :grin:

We'll see - I can't wait to do another

Andrew

Archived