Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bonus nights viewing. Io spectacular

GrahamNW

Well  i wasnt planning on going out tonight but a look out of the window showed clear skies so i thought id give it a go. I'm still very new to this so apologies for lack of expertise in the following report! 

Mixed viewing tonight due to the clouds but worth persevering for the moments of clear sky. The moon was full and far too bright for prolonged observation even with a moon filter. It was actually painful to look at. It also washed out most deep sky objects apart from the Orion nebula and a brief glimpse of a quite splendid double cluster in Peruses which was best viewed in an ultra wide view 400mm plossl eyepiece. The reds, blue and white stars were sharp and clear.

Highlight of the evening though was the transit of Io across Jupiter. Seeing was generally excellent with little "boiling" apparent. Whilst I couldn't actually see the moon, the shadow it cast was occasionally pinpoint sharp in both my basic Celestron 10mm plossl and in the 24 to 8 mm zoom. I could even make out some detail in the equatorial bands.

I tried a few shots using my DSLR through a Barlow lens but the quality wasn't brilliant. Still early days in my attempts at astrophotography!

This is the first transit I have seen and it was captivating. The movement of the shadow was obvious as it crept across the disc. I was hoping to witness the re emergence of Io but a few spots of rain had me quickly dismantling my scope and heading indoors just as it was due to clear the rim sadly.

I have a Hyperion 10mm about to arrive, (tomorrow hopefully), and can only wish I could have had it hand tonight! 
Considering the forecast was for full cloud all evening I feel like tonight was a real bonus evenings viewing.

Disappointed to have missed it. I did catch the last moments of Europa as it hovered near the limb earlier which is what caught my attention.

It's a bit mind bending to think of just how far away this is happening and I can watch it from my back yard.

Even more amazing how fast it actually happens when you consider the distances.

10 hours ago, GrahamNW said:

Disappointed to have missed it. I did catch the last moments of Europa as it hovered near the limb earlier which is what caught my attention.

It's a bit mind bending to think of just how far away this is happening and I can watch it from my back yard.

Even more amazing how fast it actually happens when you consider the distances.

It is pretty amazing isn't it? Equally amazing that what you are seeing has already happened! The light travel time from Jupiter is currently around 37 minutes, so we only get to see the events once the light has reached us.

Hi Derek. 

I bought myself a celestron evolution 9.25 last month.  First proper scope really. I had a Konus 500 years ago but this is a big difference!

Loving it so far 

I too delivery of a Hyperion 10mm this afternoon, just in time for tonight's clear sky and wow! I thought jupiter was good last night. I'm still I  shock.

Can't belive the detail in the weather bands and the pole,  but the GRS  was stunning. There were moments of total clarity in which I could clearly see colour in the spot. A rich russet orangey hue and an obvious oval shape, with tendrils of darker clouds curling at the edges. Beautiful. Can't imagine what it would have looked like without the moon wash. Having seen what the Baader can do at 10mm Im sorely tempted by the others in the range!

Archived