NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A rough solar sketch from lunchtime

Will Gater

Got out my red pastel and card, as my webcam images weren't stacking properly this morning :crybaby: . There are some nice proms on the limb this lunchtime. Here's my rough full disk sketch of what I could see with the PST. The main prom on the bottom right was quite distinct this morning but it's gradually spreading out.

halphasketch070608.jpg

Thanks Algol, I use two different options depending on time. For a quick set-up I have a heavy photo tripod which has a detachable screw plate that I can mount the PST on. I then use an old bins satchel with a weight in it hung underneath the tripod legs, to keep the thing steady. If I want to image then ATM I am piggbacking the PST on an ETX 90EC. It works but not something I would recommend as the poor old ETX struggles carrying the weight a bit. :? Hoping to upgrade to an HEQ5 soon so that I can mount the PST and ETX side by side for both white light and H-alpha daytime solar stuff, in time for the Sun's 'reawakening'. :D

I was going to say "That's good, why don't I do that and save the expense of a PST".

Then the penny dropped. Just one more clue to my age Will. :D

But sketching is a skill I would like to possess, I've seen some great examples of the art on SGL, and yours is another one. A very effective transport of information.

Ron. :D

Hi Algol, yes I really enjoy using my PST. There's usually something interesting happening in H-alpha and as the Sun becomes more active I'm sure it will become even more so. It certainly makes the summer months a little less quiet, as I can get my observing/imaging/sketching 'fix' with it. :D

Archived