Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M78 + Barnards loop widefield

MartinFransson

I have a new favourite area of the sky! The M78 surroundings with Barnards loop and friends. Unfortunately I only got a little time on it the other day and the damn moon was already starting to destroy the sky. My data was too weak to stretch well and the moon made it hard to even get some Ha yesterday with only a 12nm filter.

Anyway, I got a few hours of Ha and implemented it into the red channel and as luminance (only about 25%). Turned out really well I think! I see huge potential in this area of the sky and can´t wait until I get a chance to add some more RGB-data! Right now Barnards loop is about all you see :)

RGB: 31*3 min + 6*5 min
HA: 15*15 min + 2*10 min

Canon EOS 1100D(astromod.)
Canon EF 300/4L IS lens
HEQ5 mount with Orion MMAG

Hope you like it!

Test_HA-RGB.jpg

20 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Super. Just for comparison why not try blend mode lighten when you put the Ha onto the red channel. In theory it should have less effect on the stars (or really no effect) and won't dim the red which is not from Ha.

Olly

Thanks Olly! That´s actually what I did. I followed your tips in another thread about how to use Ha in the red channel with blending mode Lighten. I also added a little bit of the Ha to the blue channel. For the luminance I only added 25% and it looked allright. 

Archived