Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Afternoon Moon, Eyepiece Projection

Aussie Dave

With a slight push (encouragement) from a member here I had another go at a full sized moon. The only way I can achieve this is with EP projection and when I have tried it I've had little success. This afternoon was different..

Using the Celestron 8i, Celestron 32mm EP and my trusty and faithful FujiFilm 10mp compact digital camera. The camera was placed near to the EP.

No processing or editing involved, straight from the memory card. All I've done is a slight crop and converted the file to png.

Reduced photo size 2000x1564, full size view is 5.2mb

56c31815ee03d_Celestron8iEPProjection32m

Full size photo 3515x2748, full size view 11.2mb

56c31bc5aa2c6_Celestron8iEPProjection32m

17 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

great shot mate,lovely detail, add a bit of contrast to bring the brightness down .well done on a cracking first shot.thanks for sharing charl.

Thanks Charl, will have a play with the image tonight. If it wasn't for you I wouldn't have got this lucky shot. The only nice shot out of about 50 with 2 compact digital cameras. The FujiFilm won the battle over a Sony Cybershot.

16 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Very good, gives a nice sense of what you see through the eyepiece.

Dave

Thanks Dave and yes it does. My best result with EP projection to date.

ok the tweaks

The first thing to do was to rotate 180 to correct view. Then slightly reduced noise and brought down the brightness, then slight sharpen which seems to increase contrast, has some saturation and raised RGB channels a bit.

56c334786cac9_Celestron8iEPProjection32m

The second was an edit on the photo above after reducing noise and sharpen but I adjusted the R, G and B to bring them together as they were apart by quite a lot. Doing this I lost all the nice blue sky colour, sky was darker. I went with this, adjusted brightness and contrast, levels and added saturation which made it red'ish, then some adjustments on each color channel to add some colour back to it. I don't know about that hint of green.

56c337ad001fc_Celestron8iEPProjection32m

The third is just converted to black and white from the image above.

56c3397181619_Celestron8iEPProjection32m

The last is full blown false night shot, dropped the brightness and added some contrast from the black and white photo above.

56c33a8bcfe72_Celestron8iEPProjection32m

40 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

very nice mate, the first out the 4 is my fav,its just right for a daytime shot.well done.clear skys charl.

Thanks Charl, it's my fave too :)  I'm chuffed with the result and I doubt I could get better for a daytime single exposure.

It's defiantly one for the pool room!

The only downside to it is edge sharpness which is due to the old Plossl eyepiece and perhaps in conjunction with the small lens of the compact digital camera but I can't complain about that little detail.

9 minutes ago, laudropb said:

Very nice day time shot. Just what I see through the eye piece.

Agreed Laudropb, cheers.

3 minutes ago, Astro Imp said:

That's very nice Dave, like being at the scope, without freezing my bits off :tongue2:

We're in 2 lands of extremes Alan. We can trade places and you can sweat and melt away here if you want, 40 degrees and well over in some places here, it's like living in an oven.

3 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Nice photos. The imaging method is afocal imaging though, not eyepiece projection.

Cheers Peter, got muddled with the 2. I did actually try EP projection today with my EP projection adapter and DSLR, results were shocking.

Archived