Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter for the first time

jgs001

I was awoken at 0330 to the sound of my phone ringing with a problem from work. Once that was sorted out about 0430, I glanced out the window, and there, to the southeast, was a really bright spot. I grabbed the bins and had a quick look, and yes definately something, not a star. I hazarded a guess it was Jupiter and had a quick check on Stellarium to confirm. Now given the time and the insufficient amount of sleep, I didn't want to lug out all the power and the SLT etc, level and align, so I unmounted the Konus 80mm scope from the SLT, and popped it on the old camera tripod. I was up and running in seconds. I grabbed the 5mm Hyperion and 2x Barlow on the way out, and setup the tripod on the garden table, I couldn't even be bothered extending the legs. There Jupiter was, in all his majesty. I could clearly make out 2 bands on the surface, and with a little jiggling of the tripod I could also clearly make out 4 moons (the Galilean ones I'm guessing), Stellarium confirms them as Europa, Ganymede, Io and Callisto. By this time it was approaching 5 am and I was a tad cold, so I packed up. I'm really glad I did make the effort to get out and look.

Nice one John 8)

Was out looking at Callisto, Europa, Io and Ganymede myself this morning. Jupiter is really too low for me this year for a proper look only just clearing the streetlight and the rooftops to the south, but it's nice to watch the moons. Next year it'll be higher up.

cheers

Matthew

I got my first look at Jupiter last night at around 02:00 with my 6" refractor, I could make out a couple of bands but nothing more. The GRS should have been visible but I couldn't make it out either.

Nice one Guys. I guess that the atmosphere is causing the loss of the GRS as Jupiter is quite low down ? What size scope do you need to be able to see the GRS, or to rephrase, do I have any hope with my 80mm frac ?

i don't think you will see it with your 80mm ST but it's a challenge for you to prove me wrong.

it's got more to do with the fact that it is so low there than your telescope.

but anyway figures crossed cos if you can see it then so can i :D

Observing the GRS takes steady skies and persistance. GRS is actually a misnomer these days, as it's not that great, not very red and more of a smudge than a spot.

What you want to look for is an ever so slight widening of the southern equatorial belt. If you can see it, crank up the power, and you may just see the contrast between the darker GRS and the brighter zones on either side.

Archived