Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Auto-focusing advice

Starflyer

Hi all,

I'm not sure where to post this, so I've plonked it in here for now.

I've decided that I need to invest in getting my focusing automated, none of my Baader filters are exactly parfocal, with a couple a mile apart, and it's driving me nuts.  This is for my OO VX10 f/4.8 newt by the way.  I'm very happy with the supplied (ACU) focuser, but will replace it if I can't find a way to automate it, it has no noticeable backlash and no slop and out performs the Moonlite CR2 that I owned previously.

I've already created and used an Arduino stepper focus controller in the past, and whilst it worked, it could be fiddly; I'm now after an out of the box solution that just works.  I intend to use it with FocusMax or SGP and want something that (after the initial setup) just works with minimal fiddling.

I've seen the Rigel USB stepper system recommended elsewhere, and it looks like this would physically fit my focuser, but I'd really like to hear the experiences of people here who've been through the pain and have a working, reliable solution.

I use a Lakeside focuser, both on a Tak 106 diving it's own focuser directly, and on my CPC1100 driving a Moonlight focuser.  The system is controlled by Focusmax and works a treat.  I can programme refocussing routines automatically however often I want through MaxPilote (which also controls everything else).  It is far more accurate than I could achieve by manual focus.

Chris

I use a Lakeside on my Tak and my ODK10 from Orion Optics. I use SGPro and it works a treat! During a night of imaging SGPro refocuses at every 1 degree temperature drop. Complete nights of focused images is priceless in my opinion :)

I am about to embark down the Lakeside path and will be using SGPro to do the thinking. I have had a lengthy chat with Ian King about the Lakeside and I'm pretty confident I can\t really buy better in that price range.

Just now, johnrt said:

I am about to embark down the Lakeside path and will be using SGPro to do the thinking. I have had a lengthy chat with Ian King about the Lakeside and I'm pretty confident I can't really buy better in that price range.

I was quite tempted by the Lakeside focuser but decided to go out on a limb and buy the SharpSky focuser kit  I have absolutely no regrets although I have no doubt you would be equally pleased with the Lakeside. The SharpSky also has a software controlled 4 channel dew heater controller built in - quite a bonus if dew is an issue for you.

28 minutes ago, Starflyer said:

Thanks again for the replies, I have some more reading to do.

Do SharpSky provide additional motor assemblies like Lakeside do?  I like the idea of being able to motorise my frac too for a relatively small additional outlay.

Yes, you can buy extra motors. I have one controller and 3 motors ('frac, LX200, RC8) but my ODK has the Baader Steeltrack motorised focuser at the moment (will be replaced by an Integra85 focuser/rotator when I can get around to it).

ChrisH

Archived