Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

AZ EQ6 users - feedback requested

Ant-33

I love mine now. It had a case of the hiccups but that was mainly due to balance and a bit of backlash. Pretty much all tuned out now. I really like the polar alignment routine. I've also been using astrotorilla with a lot of success.

All in all I'm a happy camper.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine is mostly packed up so I can't be bothered to set it up and record the sound, but if you skip to 30 seconds into this You Tube video my sounds very similar to this; there there is a spike in some noise at the start and end, but it isn't a friction/rubbing sound like the one on your video. But as I say, Your sound may be normal for a new mount and it has yet to mature into the sound I hear today.

James

14 hours ago, tich said:

I did adjust the play out of both axis which didn't take to long & apart from the I'm quite happy with the build quality of the mount.

Glad to hear you're happy with the build quality. I'm curious, though - how did you set about adjusting the play, and did you have to do anything that might invalidate the warranty? If I had one here it might be obvious how to adjust it, but I don't have one yet. Also, am I right that this is the same thing as the backlash mentioned by Ken?

Cheers, Tony

I can confirm that FLO's service is impeccable. Mine has been back to them twice - once at the beginning for a fault and once for a self inflicted problem after I was experimenting with remote control from a laptop and forgot all about cord wrap which the software didn't prevent. By pulling the power cord I managed to damage the motherboard which needed to be replaced.

However, cord wrap seems to be a recurring intermittent problem even when using the handset.

I use the mount almost entirely in alt-az mode which I find to be fine for visual. I have the tripod leg positions marked in my garden so I often start from the parked position.. Because of my earlier experience I am a bit paranoid about cord wrap and watch it carefully (not always easy in the dark!). But still, every now and again (not every time), I find that the mount is not behaving in a way which prevents the power cord being wrapped around the mount a couple of times. I then have to switch off and unwrap the cord before plugging it in again. I then need to re-align but still sometimes the problem recurs. This happened a few weeks ago on a cold damp night and I gave up and have not used the mount since because of the weather. 

Has anyone else had a similar experience, or am I unlucky, and/or doing something wrong?

15 hours ago, tich said:

I did adjust the play out of both axis which didn't take to long & apart from the I'm quite happy with the build quality of the mount., it came with a HitecAstro lead & it connected to the laptop via EQMOD straight away so very happy about that.

So what I gather with the alignment routine I'd switch on the mount set date time etc then do a polar alignment, (I'm guessing I'd do a similar routine via EQMOD too) Then switch off put the scope in the park position switch back on enter date & time again then do a star align then should be good to go?

You don't need any of the date etc info to do the polar align - you only really need the power for the polar scope illumination - use a phone app to show you where polaris goes around the circle and polar align - then put to park position turn off and on again - only then do I connect to pc and ascom. 

Do you have the details of how to adjust the play out of the axis ? I have no idea if this is even an issue with mine but nom I feel I need to check! 

Thanks

Cord wrap - I've never encountered this problem, but I've only used used the mount in EQ mode (that isn't strictly true as I have set it up in Alt-az mode in the day time just to see how to do it and play, but never observed that way). In EQ mode I don't see how one could wrap the cord around the mount several times, as to keep the weights below the scope you would never do a 360 in RA. To do a 360 in Dec would mean the scope must at some point be pointing to the ground, which again I've never needed to do. Even when I was set up using a 15-20m ethernet lead and running the mount from the pseudo-warmth of my garage or conservatory I never encountered the problem, as again it never does a 360.

Date / time and polar alignment - I use the handset to tell me where to place Polaris when polar aligning. I've set the setting circles up so when the handset tells me the hour angle of Polaris I can just rotate the RA to the correct hour angle, and only then need to look through the polar scope and make adjustments in altitude and azimuth to get Polaris in the small Polaris circle. This is the only Skywatcher mount I've encountered which allows the setting circles to be reliably used in this way, the ones on the HEQ5 or NEQ6 are unreliable in this regard from my experience. But yes, you can just use an smart phone app and estimate where to put the Polaris circle. What I also do, if I want better Polar alignment is to use the handset routine to polar align, but I would still do a visual polar alignment first to get it in the right ball park, and I would still reboot the mount after doing the polar scope polar alignment and the initial star alignment. There are various threads on here about doing the polar alignment routine on the handset. I keep meaning to write it out in full, as the version in the manual is poor at explaining exactly what to do and what not to do.

James

Backlash / play - Although the NEQ6 and AZEQ6 are different, Astrobaby's description of what to do with an NEQ6 is very similar to the AZEQ6. It certainly isn't an easy thing to get spot on, as it is easy to make things too tight so then things catch part of the way around when rotating either axis. If you engineeringly-minded then fair enough, have a go, but if you are not that way inclined leave well alone:

http://www.astro-baby.com/EQ6%20rebuild%20guide/EQ6%20worm%20alignment.htm

Graham at Astrotech has serviced my mount and he nipped out the backlash for me, and he has done many other services for people and various modifications, he is highly recommended:

http://www.astrotecuk.co.uk/contact%20us.html

James

P.S. You would have to check with the retailer if this would invalidate any warranty. Else ask the retailer to get the backlash resolved. There is a really good description somewhere of how to quantify the amount of backlash, let me try and find it, I know I typed it out once but I think I copied it from another SGL member, JamesF maybe.

Quantifying backlash:

Undertake in daylight using something on the horizon.

Turn the tracking off.

Point the scope at something distant and centre it in the FOV (ideally in crosshairs).

Look at the coordinates on the handset (RA and Dec).

Now select the slowest slew speed.

Slew the mount in just one axis.

There will be a delay between pressing and holding down the button and the FoV changing.

As soon as the scope / FOV moves, stop pressing the button.

Note down the new coordinates.

Subtract the original coordinates from the new coordinates.

The difference is the amount of backlash in that axis.

Repeat several times to get an "average" for that axis - this will usually be in the order of 30 arcminutes but may be really bad and be a degree or more.

Now repeat for the other axis.

You can use this information to work out if your tinkering with the backlash has made things better or worse, else you can use this information to inform the retailer about how much backlash there is. I'm not sure what is considered "acceptable" on a new mount - you may have to start a new thread about that, or again ask a retailer.

I didn't devise this way to work out backlash, I read it somewhere else, I do think maybe JamesF.

James.

14 minutes ago, jambouk said:

There are various threads on here about doing the polar alignment routine on the handset. I keep meaning to write it out in full, as the version in the manual is poor at explaining exactly what to do and what not to do.

I haven't got the mount yet, so I haven't tried doing it by the instructions in the manual, however, if the manual is a bit skimpy in this regard, I for one would be grateful if you do write out the procedure.

10 minutes ago, jambouk said:

Backlash / play - Although the NEQ6 and AZEQ6 are different, Astrobaby's description of what to do with an NEQ6 is very similar to the AZEQ6. It certainly isn't an easy thing to get spot on, as it is easy to make things too tight so then things catch part of the way around when rotating either axis. If you engineeringly-minded then fair enough, have a go, but if you are not that way inclined leave well alone:

http://www.astro-baby.com/EQ6%20rebuild%20guide/EQ6%20worm%20alignment.htm

Graham at Astrotech has serviced my mount and he nipped out the backlash for me, and he has done many other services for people and various modifications, he is highly recommended:

http://www.astrotecuk.co.uk/contact%20us.html

James

P.S. You would have to check with the retailer if this would invalidate any warranty. Else ask the retailer to get the backlash resolved. There is a really good description somewhere of how to quantify the amount of backlash, let me try and find it, I know I typed it out once but I think I copied it from another SGL member, JamesF maybe.

Thanks for the references, James. Are the two mounts really so similar in adjustment of the backlash? I thought the drive mechanism was different between the two mounts. 

Yes, I think I'd stay safe and check with the retailer.

Cheers, Tony

5 hours ago, jambouk said:

No, mine doesn't make that initial rubbing / catching sound. But it might have done when it was brand new; but I don't recall that.

Is there much backlash in either the RA or the Dec?

James

Thank you for the response James. I'm going to test it more today. I also notice some small play in DEC side to side. Do you know how to tighten that up?

19 hours ago, tich said:

I did adjust the play out of both axis which didn't take to long & apart from the I'm quite happy with the build quality of the mount., it came with a HitecAstro lead & it connected to the laptop via EQMOD straight away so very happy about that

I have just a small bit of play in DEC side to side. Can you go into a bit of detail how you go about adjusting the play out? Many thanks.

59 minutes ago, Leveye said:

I have just a small bit of play in DEC side to side. Can you go into a bit of detail how you go about adjusting the play out? Many thanks.

Just follow this; it works just as well for the AZEQ6GT. http://www.astro-baby.com/EQ6%20rebuild%20guide/EQ6%20worm%20alignment.htm

5 hours ago, Ant-33 said:

Are the two mounts really so similar in adjustment of the backlash? I thought the drive mechanism was different between the two mounts.

In essence yes. The holes to put the hex keys might be in slightly difference places, but the principle is the same; tighten one side, loosen the other. Always do a 360 degree rotation of the axis once you are happy to make sure the motors sound nice all the way around as it is easy to tighten is so that it catches part of the way around which you'll hear as the tone of the motor will change like it is struggling, or it may even just come to a complete stand still. It takes many attempts to get it just right, so set aside two hours and just take your time. Plenty of cups of tea and pacing around :)

28 minutes ago, jambouk said:

In essence yes. The holes to put the hex keys might be in slightly difference places, but the principle is the same; tighten one side, loosen the other. Always do a 360 degree rotation of the axis once you are happy to make sure the motors sound nice all the way around as it is easy to tighten is so that it catches part of the way around which you'll hear as the tone of the motor will change like it is struggling, or it may even just come to a complete stand still. It takes many attempts to get it just right, so set aside two hours and just take your time. Plenty of cups of tea and pacing around :)

Thanks, James - that clarifies it for me :smiley: I'll plan for some tea drinking - at least this can be done inside in the warm.

16 hours ago, Leveye said:

Can others chime in and tell me if on their mount the RA and DEC make a small motor/rub sound at the start and the end of it's slew? While it's in mid slew it's whisper quiet. Just a small short noise at the beginning and end of the movement. Here's a small video clip of the sound it's making...

dec motor sound atlas azeqg mount.mp4

Mine makes a similar noise when it slews in RA although it only makes it when it comes to a stop & not when it starts so I guess it's one of its quirks, seems to work well though so probably nothing to worry about.

34 minutes ago, jambouk said:

Ok, I've put together version one of my guide to using the polar alignment routine on the Skywatcher handset. It looks complicated, but actually it isn't. If there are obvious errors let me know and I'll revise it.

James

Polar alignment[v1].pdf

Awesome - illustrations and all! Major good work, James. Thank you :hello2: I've taken a quick look, but I'll have to look more closely when the mount arrives.

Cheers, Tony

9 hours ago, Ant-33 said:

Glad to hear you're happy with the build quality. I'm curious, though - how did you set about adjusting the play, and did you have to do anything that might invalidate the warranty? If I had one here it might be obvious how to adjust it, but I don't have one yet. Also, am I right that this is the same thing as the backlash mentioned by Ken?

Cheers, Tony

I can't comment about the warranty as I brought my mount second hand but adjusting it out using AstroBaby's method as already mentioned above is a doddle, I did the same with my NEQ6 not long after I brought it new & it's still perfect with not an ounce of play. Just remember to adjust it little by little that's if you decide to adjust it in the first place.

1 minute ago, Ant-33 said:

Awesome - illustrations and all! Major good work, James. Thank you :hello2: I've taken a quick look, but I'll have to look more closely when the mount arrives.

Cheers, Tony

I'd get to grips with the basic set up first, once you are happy then think about the handset polar alignment routine.

james

Hi there,

I have been using my AZEQ6 for about a year and I must say I am impressed. It handles my long tube refractor plus guide scope and extra bits without complaining. It worked straight out the box - I wasn't expecting that after reading past reviews. Backlash is present but not a problem, I have not attempted to tweak the mount for fear of causing problems rather than solving them. 

On a good night, I would capture maybe 100 x 3minute subs. Out of those maybe 10 or so are unusable (normally because either I lost the guide star, clouds or wind). I can't remember any mechanical problem with the mount at all! I image with a 1 metre FL refractor at 1.25 arcsecs/pix.

Archived