SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

AZ EQ6 users - feedback requested

Ant-33

9 minutes ago, tich said:

I can't comment about the warranty as I brought my mount second hand but adjusting it out using AstroBaby's method as already mentioned above is a doddle, I did the same with my NEQ6 not long after I brought it new & it's still perfect with not an ounce of play. Just remember to adjust it little by little that's if you decide to adjust it in the first place.

Sounds good, thank you :smiley:

8 minutes ago, jambouk said:

I'd get to grips with the basic set up first, once you are happy then think about the handset polar alignment routine.

james

:smiley: Sounds like good advice. One step at a time...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, spaceman_spiff said:

Hi there,

I have been using my AZEQ6 for about a year and I must say I am impressed. It handles my long tube refractor plus guide scope and extra bits without complaining. It worked straight out the box - I wasn't expecting that after reading past reviews. Backlash is present but not a problem, I have not attempted to tweak the mount for fear of causing problems rather than solving them. 

On a good night, I would capture maybe 100 x 3minute subs. Out of those maybe 10 or so are unusable (normally because either I lost the guide star, clouds or wind). I can't remember any mechanical problem with the mount at all! I image with a 1 metre FL refractor at 1.25 arcsecs/pix.

Interesting - Thanks for the feedback. The mount is pretty hefty and sturdy, so I don't imagine wind is too big a problem - or is it?

3 minutes ago, Ant-33 said:

Interesting - Thanks for the feedback. The mount is pretty hefty and sturdy, so I don't imagine wind is too big a problem - or is it?

Well, my garden is surrounded by trees on two sides and by the house on another - this helps block the wind, but also the sky :-(

The mount is pretty hefty but i find holding it by the supports (where the altitude axis is set) works well. 

2 minutes ago, spaceman_spiff said:

Well, my garden is surrounded by trees on two sides and by the house on another - this helps block the wind, but also the sky :-(

The mount is pretty hefty but i find holding it by the supports (where the altitude axis is set) works well. 

Fair enough. I have the same horizon problem, being in a moderately built-up area. 

Cheers, Tony

1 hour ago, jambouk said:

Ok, I've put together version one of my guide to using the polar alignment routine on the Skywatcher handset. It looks complicated, but actually it isn't. If there are obvious errors let me know and I'll revise it.

James

Polar alignment[v1].pdf

This seems similar to this Method ? 

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/astro/iterating.pdf

Similar, but then I guess any method for polar aligning is based fundamentally the same principles. I'm not sure how cone error / orthogonality error are compensated for in either the method employed by the Skywatcher Handset routine or the method described by Covington above. The gold standard method would be drift alignment, but this is time consuming if done in full, though there are many short cuts described of that method too:

http://astrophotographyonabudget.blogspot.co.uk/p/drift-alignment.html

The narrative I have written out is just the method I use when using the alignment routine built into the Synscan handset - I haven't invented anything or made any contributions to science, just written out my interpretation of that companies method.

James

6 hours ago, jambouk said:

I've spent about an hour trying to get a video I made of my mount onto SGL. Hopefully this will work:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w351oq48qjfuhuc/Video%2009-02-2016%2C%2015%2047%2053.mov?dl=0

Now that's a quiet mount. How old is yours again? More of what I was expecting. I have now seen other videos were the sound is exactly the same as my mount from both versions from Skywatcher and Orion. I think the motor mount allen bolts need to be loosened slightly and the worm carrier screws need adjustment. Now on our mounts those motor mount allen bolts are the ones under the metal cover plate by the motors correct?

Mine is about three years old, but it doesn't get excessive use - probably only "light use" as i set up so infrequently, I go through fits and starts with observing and imaging.

I'm not the guy you need to ask these engineering questions. There is another thread which will be more helpful, let me find it.

James

4 hours ago, jambouk said:

Ok, I've put together version one of my guide to using the polar alignment routine on the Skywatcher handset. It looks complicated, but actually it isn't. If there are obvious errors let me know and I'll revise it.

James

Polar alignment[v1].pdf

Nice summary, and pretty much what I evolved towards with my AZEQ6.  I'm still using the firmware as delivered (1 year ago), and that version doesn't split the elevation and azimuth adjustments into two operations as you describe: you just do both at once to centre the star.  I have a vague memory of reading about some issue with this, but most of the time I can get to about a 1 min error after two iterations, so I'm not rushing to upgrade.

7 hours ago, physicus said:

Nice summary, and pretty much what I evolved towards with my AZEQ6.  I'm still using the firmware as delivered (1 year ago), and that version doesn't split the elevation and azimuth adjustments into two operations as you describe: you just do both at once to centre the star.  I have a vague memory of reading about some issue with this, but most of the time I can get to about a 1 min error after two iterations, so I'm not rushing to upgrade.

Yes, I had that version, but they refined it to make the centering easier and more accurate. Remember it is always important to only quote the Mel and Maz after a two star alignment (using two stars on the same side of the meridian); the Mel and Maz the handset tells you after the Polar Alignment part of the process are meaningless and usually much closer to zero than you'll ever really get.

James

17 hours ago, Ant-33 said:

Well, it depends on how strong of wind.

We got back from vacation and while we were gone we have a pretty good wind storm. Winds peaked at 75 kph. I was devastated to find my mount had blown over. I have it covered with a large plastic bag and a very heavy duty canvas bag so it looks like that acted like a sail. I didn't even want to look at it to see what damage was done to the mount and the scope. 

When I set everything upright again I found 1 very small dent in the dew shield of my scope and that was it. The mount survived with zero damage. The small dent actually makes the cap on the scope fit better :smiley:

Time to anchor it to the ground (when it thaws out enough).

Also the mount works fine in -20C (even though I don't)

58 minutes ago, kendg said:

Well, it depends on how strong of wind.

We got back from vacation and while we were gone we have a pretty good wind storm. Winds peaked at 75 kph. I was devastated to find my mount had blown over. I have it covered with a large plastic bag and a very heavy duty canvas bag so it looks like that acted like a sail. I didn't even want to look at it to see what damage was done to the mount and the scope. 

When I set everything upright again I found 1 very small dent in the dew shield of my scope and that was it. The mount survived with zero damage. The small dent actually makes the cap on the scope fit better :smiley:

Time to anchor it to the ground (when it thaws out enough).

Also the mount works fine in -20C (even though I don't)

Crikey! I guess that says a lot for how sturdy the mount is! And your scope. So, if you leave it out, have you considered a pier?

Cheers, Tony

Big thanks to all of you who have given me feedback on this thread. Once again, SGL rocks! You guys are knowledgeable, and generous with your knowledge. Your feedback has helped me make the decision to purchase the AZ EQ6 mount, and today I placed my order.

So - now the excitement is mounting... er... pun... well, anyway :happy8:

Cheers, Tony

Archived