Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sirius A and B

Helix

1 hour ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I have been reading up on the G and H1/H2 stars (proplyds, really) and it seems they may well have been brightening over the years, hence the conflicting magnitude measurements. 14.5 should certainly be in range of a 10", although the bright background of the nebula makes life harder. What is really need is an H-alpha/O-III rejection filter (the inverse as it were of a UHC) to suppress the nebula but leave the proplyds intact. I should give these proplyds a go if ever i am in a position to use a 16-20" from a really dark site.

Just a wild idea: I wonder if there is a way to use light reflected from a UHC filter (not at a large angle, that shifts the pass bands) to achieve the desired effect

Interesting study, Michael, and I like your idea about filters. I would like to try it next time when I observe. I usually observe Trapezium without filters. I definitely will pay close attention to this area with filters. I am opened for all innovative ideas. I like to experiment myself. So would be nice to know your results. 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Helix,

Contrary to others I believe you should be "burned alive" and maybe we should throw Gerry (Jetstream) on the fire along side you :happy8:  this isn't because I do not believe what you can see, but it is born out of pure jealousy :icon_biggrin:

Well done and keep up the good work :hello:

I have to add to this post at long last...i think....two nights ago using the 12" SCT and a 9mm ortho i think i have finally saw the pup.

I have been trying to see this for a very long time...considering i have been looking at the sky for 40 years,and have never had any success.

I need confirmation on this,through the eyepiece there was a definate image at around 3 o clock,would this be the position using this scope.

If not i will keep trying.

Well done - sounds like you got it !

"The Pup" follows Sirius A as it drifts across the FoV in an undriven scope. The distance between them is reasonable (about 10 arc seconds at present I believe ?) but the glare from the A star tends to drown out the Pup so it appears as a tiny point of light on the outer edges of the A stars halo of light, that can tend to "come and go" as the seeing changes.

I glimpsed it myself this evening with my 12" dob and a 6.7mm eyepiece (237x) but it was hard to hold tonight due to none too steady seeing conditions. It was quite a lot easier last night although I'd never class it as an easy catch !

14 hours ago, paul mc c said:

I have to add to this post at long last...i think....two nights ago using the 12" SCT and a 9mm ortho i think i have finally saw the pup.

I have been trying to see this for a very long time...considering i have been looking at the sky for 40 years,and have never had any success.

I need confirmation on this,through the eyepiece there was a definate image at around 3 o clock,would this be the position using this scope.

If not i will keep trying.

Hi Paul,

Do you use a diagonal with your SCT? I am just trying to understand what image orientation you see through your scope. If you use a diagonal then the pup is at 3 o'clock approx. 

Tatyana

13 hours ago, John said:

Well done - sounds like you got it !

"The Pup" follows Sirius A as it drifts across the FoV in an undriven scope. The distance between them is reasonable (about 10 arc seconds at present I believe ?) but the glare from the A star tends to drown out the Pup so it appears as a tiny point of light on the outer edges of the A stars halo of light, that can tend to "come and go" as the seeing changes.

I glimpsed it myself this evening with my 12" dob and a 6.7mm eyepiece (237x) but it was hard to hold tonight due to none too steady seeing conditions. It was quite a lot easier last night although I'd never class it as an easy catch !

Yes i had the same conditions and it was fairly low,and as you say it did come and go,but definately there when it "came". Your right, it isnt an easy catch its been a long time coming.

The pup is at 3 o 'clock using a SC, he says sound like something of an expert. I only saw it the other night for the first time with the 12 inch Meade after 8 years of trying. On good nights though I have done it many times with my smaller scopes and the 18 inch makes it fairly easy on a good night, but it's the extra 11 degree I have on you down here really makes the difference.

Archived