Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Synscan AZ GOTO not tracking

Hi

I have recently got a synscan AZ goto Dob. I am having trouble tracking objects as they dont stay in the centre of the eyepiece and are soon falling out of view bottom left as i look at it.

I have updated the firmware to V3.37 but this didnt help. I follow the instructions and do a brightest star alignment...

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks

The most common problems I had with mine to start with,

was making sure it is really level, not just just near enough, but really level.

And power source, with my power tank hardly any issues, but when it was run on battery's it was always going out, but these 2 changes have made a big difference to my tracking

I will have to see how far out it is and the concrete area is about 8 x 20, There may be a run off slope to take water away from the house.

Once i have worked this out i will have to find a method to level the scope. 

Then i may be able to start getting some pictures to image, rather than just the moon.

Dean

• 4 weeks later...

Hi thanks to everyone for your advise. I had clear skys last night and with my newly purchased spirit bubble, compass and illuminated eyepiece i set up my scope and got it tracking nicely. Held sirius in view for over tens mins before i had a look at M33, M45

Then i thought id have another bash at getting some pics of orion as the past attempts have been poor.

Well the result was like santa the easter bunny and toothe fairy all turning up at the same time. I was amazed at the pic from a 5 sec ecposure. I will add later

So again thanks to all

Dean

When I had a SW 300P dob I was always very impressed with the tracking. Properly leveled and aligned it would keep objects dead center for 30 mins and I frequently returned after 45mins to find the object only slightly drifting off center but still in the fov. :)

2 hours ago, brantuk said:

When I had a SW 300P dob I was always very impressed with the tracking. Properly leveled and aligned it would keep objects dead center for 30 mins and I frequently returned after 45mins to find the object only slightly drifting off center but still in the fov. :)

So when i manage to get this setup perfect what would the longest exposure id be able to use without getting star trails as its an AZ mount

I never tried long exposure with the 300P dob because it is alt/az which gives field rotation by default, and trailing becomes evident after 20-30secs. But it's great for planetary photography with a webcam (which is essentially very short exposure). :)

4 minutes ago, brantuk said:

I never tried long exposure with the 300P dob because it is alt/az which gives field rotation by default, and trailing becomes evident after 20-30secs. But it's great for planetary photography with a webcam (which is essentially very short exposure). :)

Thanks, i new i would have issues with field rotation. So i will just have to see what i can achieve, but i was extremely pleased with last nights results.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the single shot i took, 5 Second exposure at 6400, but after first few being so bad, i was really happy and its that that keeps us stood outside freezing when others are nicely wrapped up warm indoors. When i get some clear sky i will reduce the iso as there is alot of noise. The next hurdle is stacking and getting to grips with photo shop.IMG_1306.thumb.jpg.d2f5c465388ccc7b4ed35

Hi

With the new firmware upgrade it now asks for elevation how important is this as ive got two different answers from gps and internet for my location. Any advice and where can i get a trusted elevation 

Peter. my previous internet search said 15mtr. that site is closer to the gps reading

Im told gps  can struggle with elevation gps said 65mtr. The link you sent said 56mtr.  So i will change from 15mtr, and see if this helps in fine tuning my tracking.  Thanks

On 05/03/2016 at 13:40, Deano666 said:

When i get some clear sky i will reduce the iso as there is alot of noise.

Reducing ISO doesn't improve the noise (it just acts as a gain control  and lowers signal and noise by the same amount). You will gain some extra dynamic range though, so it might be worth it.

NigelM

Archived