Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My Latest Grab N Go Setup

John

Here is my new (to me) Konus Vista 80 on the AZ-3 mount. Total weight is 6.5 kg so very portable :D

The Konus is a clone of the Skywatcher ST80 - an 80mm F/5 achro refractor. With my 24mm Panoptic eyepiece in the diagonal this scope gives me a true field of 4.08 degrees at 17x magnification. The scopes comes with a 6x30 optical finder but I've swapped that for a Baader Sky Surfer III RDF which I prefer.

Hopefully this will be coming on holiday with us this summer :D

John

6395_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

whats the views like out of these things?

The views are nice at low and medium power. These short FL scopes are not designed to be used at high power.

I managed to see the Veil Nebula with one of these using a UHC-S filter last summer on a night of very good seeing.

For me it's an alternative to big binoculars as I can't seem to find a convenient way to mount binoculars.

John

I had one of those Konus orange ST's as my first 'real' scope! Lovely little thing. Another member of our local club has it now...

Early this morning I had a quick look at Jupiter with mine and spent some time on the Moon this evening. These little scopes perform suprisingly well for their cost and the false colour is really not too obtrusive for an F/5 scope. I'm really please with it - can't wait to get it to some really dark skies :D

John

Archived