Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

OBSERVING MEET - Feb. 2016

L8-Nite

Hello everyone,

It's been quite a while since we've had a good observing session at our South Wales Group site. Hopefully we are over the worst of the weather and some clear skies will prevail in February. I'm sure many of us, including myself, are looking forward to dusting off our gear, and or trying out new equipment acquired over the holidays under some dark skies. It will also be nice to catch up again, and possibly have some new SGL observers join us.

For those who haven't been to the Blaenavon observing site before, it is located next to the radio masts north east of town, at the "Fox Hunter" car park. The coordinates are.......

On Google Earth:  51*  47'  25.74" N  by  3*  4'  10.74" W

On Google Maps:  51.790573  ,  -3.069705

The proposed observing meet dates for the month are:

February 5, 2016  or  February 6, 2016  as an alternate   ( and / or, for the following weekend ).

February 12th  or  February 13th  as an alternate pursuant to the weather; please mark your Calendar's.

Check this thread for updates, and on the day, in the afternoon to see if the observing session is a "GO" or a "NO - GO" based on the current weather forecasts.

Cheers, and clear skies to us all.  :smile:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, stevetynant said:

I was up there on Saturday taking the dog for a walk.. Stunning views...fingers crossed must be a year since I've seen any of you guys

Should be able to recognise me Steve, my Wife says I don't look any older in the dark.  :grin:

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 10:42, lennylovit said:
On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 10:42, lennylovit said:

Nice morning 26deg and sunny . Hope its nice day back home

20160127_103520.jpg

Nice morning 26deg and sunny . Hope its nice day back home

A comfortable 11 degrees here Lenny although the 20mph wind and sideways rain is less appealing !

Doubt I'll make this weekend either, I spent the last clear night we had balancing and aligning the SCT in the Obsy so I'll be doing a bit of imaging the next few opportunities I get hopefully. I've started a Dob Kitty so hopefully I'll have enough cash for a new one before this year's trip to Pencelli assuming there is one.

5 hours ago, stevetynant said:

Forecast looks appalling

Yeah Steve, the consensus of forecasts agree.  Sorry folks, tonight's observing meet is a " NO-GO ". :clouds1::clouds2:

Saturday night's forecast is very poor also, so it looks like a washout for this weekend.

Edit: Check this thread around the middle of next week for an update on our observing meet scheduled for Friday February 12 th.

Fingers crossed for next week it is then - I'll be packing away for the spring and summer before I've wiped the dust off last years lens lol. Strangely enough looking out of the window last night at about 11pm and again into the early hours the sky was stunningly clear with no wind whatsoever - only in Wales :0)

Archived