Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 3184, a star field and an unknown!

wavydavy

Hi can anyone help, took this last night with my William optics zenithstar 70ED with focal reducer, galaxy came out ok, considering that the moon was interfering, however ive marked something in the field of view im not sure about, ive also compared this to the website, astrometry.net, but nothing.

One possibility is its an artefact from the imaging/camera, or something simply unclassified, but im not sure. Anyone care to comment, any help appreciated.post-30428-0-69297000-1453308793_thumb.j

Sorry can't help much ...

Sky Safari describes the stars either side as:

"TYC 3004-0789-1 is a 10th magnitude Star appearing in the constellation Ursa Major. It is 51 light years from our solar system. It appears yellow-orange in color. Its energy output is 1/70 of the Sun's luminosity."

and

"GSC 3004-0931 is a 14th magnitude Star appearing in the constellation Ursa Major."

It shows plenty of galaxies in the frame but no galaxies between the two stars even when it is set to show all deep sky objects to mag 18.

post-36360-0-28183000-1453366726_thumb.j

On 1/22/2016 at 19:03, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Well spotted, I can confirm it's real. There is a small spiral galaxy there on Google Sky, not sure how to find its designation though.

That tiny spiral is PGC2180008
Information from catalog: PGC
HyperLeda Database for physics of galaxies
Magnitude: 16.65
PGC: 2180008
Dimension: 0.7 x 0.3 '
Position angle: 44

I think PGC 2180008 might be the small fuzzy in the original image indicated by my arrow:

image.thumb.jpeg.5409fd38d11184aad35d737

I think PGC 2180008 appears eliptical (Sky Safari has it as 0.7 x 0.3 ')  whereas the object appears to be round and a little larger at maybe 1' dia.  

Is it moving?

Have you had a chance to check on another night - I would but it is very low in the sky for me and behind about 30,000 feet of cloud.

Do the individual subs vary?

The coordinates of your object are RA 10:21:31.13 Dec +41:25:31.3. There is no know object at this location. There have been no known minor planets or comets at this location too. I suggest it is an artifact causes by Mu Ursae Majoris.

1.jpg

3 hours ago, Ras Skipper said:

The coordinates of your object are RA 10:21:31.13 Dec +41:25:31.3. There is no know object at this location. There have been no known minor planets or comets at this location too. I suggest it is an artifact causes by Mu Ursae Majoris.

Please see my post above. On Google Sky there is a small spiral galaxy shown there if you zoom in on that location.

9 hours ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Please see my post above. On Google Sky there is a small spiral galaxy shown there if you zoom in on that location.

I may be reading Google Sky and the original image incorrectly but I think Google Sky also shows very little in this area ?

image.jpeg.e4d52caecf4533eb7c3aad60a202f

13 hours ago, Ras Skipper said:

The application you displayed looks very useful, is it publicly available?

Cheers

Mike

31 minutes ago, mike005 said:

I may be reading Google Sky and the original image incorrectly but I think Google Sky also shows very little in this area ?

I take that back .... I don't think the relatively large object in the original image is showing up in Google Sky but there are heaps of interesting tiny fuzzies in the image below.  I wish I had the skies and scope (and possibly space suit) to be able capture some of these.

image.thumb.jpeg.d5bba646368deb479b0d39d

I came across this site (that you guys probably already know all about):

http://dr12.sdss3.org/fields/runCamcolField?run=3615&camcol=4&field=81

In its intro it states:

"The SDSS-III is a large imaging and spectroscopic survey of the Northern sky, using a 2.5m optical telescope at Apache Point Observation in New Mexico."

I downloaded a number of images from the site and complied the follwing image of the area in question:

DR12 Science Archive Server images:

image.thumb.jpeg.7fefe510cf15bd8b3a70f14

Original capture:

image.thumb.jpeg.49439420e701ff7ac3c4a32

and overlaid (50% transparency):

image.thumb.jpeg.dfca5d1418d29ece3b9bf65

If there is something there now then it was not there before ...

3 hours ago, wxsatuser said:

I ran it through CdC with all the cats I have and I cannot see anything at that spot.

I have a mental image of you sitting at your computer with your desk full of cats looking at your screen to check your work :)

8 hours ago, mike005 said:

I take that back .... I don't think the relatively large object in the original image is showing up in Google Sky but there are heaps of interesting tiny fuzzies in the image below.  I wish I had the skies and scope (and possibly space suit) to be able capture some of these.

My mistake. The galaxy I noticed on Google Sky is too far to the right to be the mark in the Op's image, i also now think it's an artifact. Sorry if I caused any confusion.

On 26/01/2016 at 15:37, Knight of Clear Skies said:

This is not the galaxy we are looking for. Like I said, in that position there is nothing. No minor bodies, comets or known asteroids.

Archived