Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newbie Advice Please

I was very lucky and Father Christmas brought me a Celestron Nexstar 130 SLT telescope, the telescope came with 25&9mm lenses.

I go into the back garden whenever there is a gap in the clouds, I have bought 2 new eyepieces Celestron X-Cell LX 18 & 7MM lenses and a 2x barlow have had some good views of the moon and Jupiter.

I also bought a 12v power lead, my questions are should I take the batteries out when I plug the lead  in, bearing in mind I like to set up as much as I can indoors in the warm, then go outside and plug in, the hand control stores the place but not the time or date, am I doing something wrong or is this normal, also what 3 filters should I buy as starters?.

From reading this site I think the next lens I get should be a 32mm would you agree.

Thanks.

try your lead without the batteries , my hand set  does the same so i think it's normal, google planetary filters & you will find a chart that tell you what each filter does.

getting a 32mm eyepiece will help you find your objects easier, I have a 38mm one

Hi,

From what I can gather, the only thing you are doing wrong here is doing the setting up indoors. I know it's a bit nippy out, but the scope needs time to cool, or the image won't be as good as it could be.

The time and date need updating each time you align. Bit of a pain I know but necessary.

As for filters and EP's, someone will be along shortly with sound advice.

And welcome btw

ATB

Bob

I was very lucky and Father Christmas brought me a Celestron Nexstar 130 SLT telescope, the telescope came with 25&9mm lenses.

I go into the back garden whenever there is a gap in the clouds, I have bought 2 new eyepieces Celestron X-Cell LX 18 & 7MM lenses and a 2x barlow have had some good views of the moon and Jupiter.

I also bought a 12v power lead, my questions are should I take the batteries out when I plug the lead  in, bearing in mind I like to set up as much as I can indoors in the warm, then go outside and plug in, the hand control stores the place but not the time or date, am I doing something wrong or is this normal, also what 3 filters should I buy as starters?.

From reading this site I think the next lens I get should be a 32mm would you agree.

Thanks.

Mine's a Celestron Nexstar 127.  And I have the XCel LX 12mm and 18mm - very nice.

I got a power pack, so stopped using batteries - they don't last very long.

I never fancied a power lead from the house or shed - it's a potential hazard!

While practising indoors, and before I stopped using batteries, I tended to take one battery out before connecting the mains-based power lead.  I don't believe that the DC-in socket disconnects the internal batteries.  

You can't really set up indoors. The 'scope needs to cool down.  And as you say, you have to enter the time and date again, not to mention getting the thing level.

Yes, a 32mm is highly recommended.  Great to start on a target, then up the mag as necessary.

With Bresser still selling ex-demo 24mm ES68's cheaply I'd recommend one of those over a 32mm Plossl. Better quality than the 25mm that came with the scope and the same real field of view as the 32mm. For a bit more you could even go for a 24mm 82 degree Maxvision with a scope that can take 2" EP's.

http://www.bresser.de/en/Sale/Display-Items/Explore-Scientific-68-Ar-Eyepiece-24mm-1-25.html

Thanks for your replies.

When I set up the telescope I put in the time and date, then go outside plug her in and level up, then go and make a cup of tea to let the telescope cool down, then sit outside drinking tea and hoping the clouds stay away until I am ready and the telescope is ready. Then I pack up because the clouds have rolled in.

I like the idea of taking out one of the batteries. I have trouble reading the handset outside in the dark even with my red light headlamp.

Thanks for the Bresser web site, I will get one of their eye pieces. 

Once again thanks for the advice.

Thanks for your replies.

When I set up the telescope I put in the time and date, then go outside plug her in and level up, then go and make a cup of tea to let the telescope cool down, then sit outside drinking tea and hoping the clouds stay away until I am ready and the telescope is ready. Then I pack up because the clouds have rolled in.

I like the idea of taking out one of the batteries. I have trouble reading the handset outside in the dark even with my red light headlamp.

Thanks for the Bresser web site, I will get one of their eye pieces. 

Tell me about it! All set up, targets in mind, clear sky - then @#$%& clouds! Grrr!

Yes, the handset isn't too clear. I use a red torch rather than a headlamp.

Sounds to me like you have be bitten by the bug.  Hope that feeling lasts and that you enjoy it for a long long time.

Here's my advice.  Stop buying eyepieces for a while - yes the 32mm, will be useful.  but then you'll have more eyepieces that I do ;-)   seriously, you don't need a million of them, just enough to be able to do a range of things with your scope. Between your eyepieces and your barlow, you are very very well covered.

As for filters, I bought a full set years ago and they very rarely get used.  It was almost a waste of cash for me, but then again, I've been bitten by the Astrophotograhy bug. ;-)

Batteries - I haven't used the internal batteries for, erm probably about 15 years. (my scope is, erm probably about 15 years old)   I used them once, found that the didn't last long, so ditched them, in favour of bigger 12v batteries (17Ah for a long time, but I've since upgraded to 80Ah! I run a lot of kit with my scope)

Beyond this for the beginner, I'd say look at your entire setup - including what you wear when observing.  Nothing worse than being cold, it'll spoil the fun.

To keep warm, get some good thermals.  Also hat, scarf, gloves, boots, and plenty of thin layers - lots of layers will do more than one big thick layer.

Eyepieces:

I have a 32, 18, 12, 9, 7, and 6mm.

These give mags of 47, 83, 125, 167, 214, and 250 times.

Reckon this is a good range, with even distribution.

I would like a lower magnification, but could only get it at the same true field as the 32.  (Can't accommodate 2" barrels.)  However I've made up for that by virtue of a 9x50 finderscope, which also gives a field of about 5 degrees.  

'Scope, EPs, finder, and power pack - think I'd better stop there for the moment!

Incidentally, I've made a table of focal length versus mag which is on my lens box.  It's a handy thing to refer to when out observing.  

You are right I have been bitten by the bug and while reading this forum with all of the information here on the many pages you feel you always need something more a better eyepiece, filter or some other gadget, I have ended up as all the gear no idea. I agree it is best to learn to use what I have got and then decide what I need next.

One of my other hobbies is skiing, I must look an idiot sitting in the garden by a telescope with a ski suit on, nightmare looking through the lens with my goggles on.

I have been reading about astro imaging, I really have to stop coming to this site!!

Many thanks Danny

I have been reading about astro imaging, I really have to stop coming to this site!!

(In a Frank Oz - Yoda, or other puppet like voice): Come come, the rabbit hole goes much much deeper.  It's ok, we're all friendly in this dark mysterious place.  Come come, you'll see.  We have shiney things.  It's fun too.  Expensive, yes, but fun, oh yes, lots of fun.  Educational too, but mainly fun.

* que backstage cackle of witches style laugher *

Archived