Delite, What Would You Like?

scarp15

The TeleVue DeLite range currently consist of 7mm, 11mm & 18.2mm. There are strong rumours, not least in another forum, that TeleVue are expected to extend this line, perhaps introducing another three focal lengths. Therefore is there a DeLIte that you would particularly anticipate, remain hopeful for inclusion and do you currently use one? One possibility is for the introduction of three new shorter focal lengths, replacing former high power Radians.

I do not have any of the current line, I would like to see the inclusion of a 4mm DeLite, this would work really well for my 76mm F6.3 refractor and perhaps occasionally with my 8" F6 dobsonian. 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No what would be good is a Delite zoom - 20mm eye relief, 62 degree field across the range and 6-12mm focal length. A nagler zoom on steroids.

Interesting idea Shane. I've been wondering if it's time for the nagler zooms to have a "makeover" to incorporate the latest TV glass and coating technology and perhaps to deliver a slight increase in AFoV and eye relief ?

Other than that, I'd be interested in focal lengths shorter than 5mm. The feeling on other forums seems to be that a 4mm is likely. Personally I reckon they might bring out a 13-14mm and maybe a 9mm ?

I'm not sure they will go beyond 18.2mm though but we will see, probably around the time of the NEAF show in April.

Good points and yes would be interesting to see if this technology leads to innovating a successor to the nagler zoom. As you mention John, quite likely that they might be launched at around the time of the NEAF show.

Shane are there aspects you favour regarding the DeLites compared to Delos, as they both share the same ergonomics and 20mm eye relief, could it be that your DeLite e.p has a slightly more neural tone? 

I just find them easier to use. The 8mm Delos I have is a bit fussy about eye placement and on the moon it shows false colour and the ring of fire, where the Delites don't. I have this problem with most newer ultrawides though - probably my eyes. I do like the 17.3mm Delos though (and 26mm Nagler). One reason I bought the 15mm Panoptic is that this focal length works well as a lunar/solar eyepiece in all my scopes.

Like John I would be looking with hand on wallet at anything around 5mm and 4mm, I have the Delos at 4.5mm and 3.5mm so I can see them doing those focal lengths. I would not drop dead with shock if we saw 6mm, 5mm and 4mm, you read it here first.

alan

From a post made today on the CN forum it looks as if the next batch of Delite eyepieces will be 15mm, 9mm and 5mm. Due to be available from the late Spring 2016.

My guess of 13-14mm, 9mm and 4mm was a little off, but not much.

post-118-0-86776600-1453336233.jpg

I've recently ordered the 18.2 (hard to find as many stores seem out of stock).

My thinking behind this was that it would act as a 9.1 with my 2x barlow and 3.6 with my 5x powermate.

I welcome the 5 as it would give me 240x magnification.

If only TV could offer something that would get rid of the clouds....

Chris

Oh dear, my guess which should not be repeated was so far off the mark I think I may delete the post, so no 4mm that is a disappointment. :iamwithstupid: .

I think there maybe some more focal lengths beyond this. Don Pensack on CN reckons that 3.5mm and 2.5mm might be forthcoming in due course but he is making an educated guess there based on previous TV eyepiece range patterns.

I was not too far off. Having a closely spaced set of Delos/Delite EPs (Delite 5mm, Delos 6mm, Delite 7mm, Delos 8mm, Delite 9mm, Delos 10mm, Delite 11mm, Delos 12mm and Delos 14mm) would be a (costly) dream set for planetary and lunar with my C8, although the 12 and 14mm would be better for planetary nebulae and small galaxies. However, I currently have the Pentax XW 5, XW 7, XW 10 with a Delos 8 stuck in between. The severe lack of parfocality of the Delos w.r.t. the XWs means I often skip it and go directly from XW10 to XW7. I might consider getting the XF 8.5 back to replace the Delos 8mm. I was also considering using the Morpheus 9mm which is nearly parfocal to the XWs, but my experience with the 14mm has been a bit mixed.

It's funny how we all 'need' these additions or replacements to our eyepiece cases, on a scale directly related to levels of cloud cover  :icon_biggrin:

Yep. Therefore it may come as a surprise that I have since decided I am sticking with the XWs at the short end. They are superb, no need to replace them. I will see if I can make the Delos parfocal with a ring. The position is 6.35 mm further out, according to the Tele-Vue EP table, combined with the data from  Jim Easterbrooks page on EP measurements, so this could be the simplest option. If this works, I will get a Delos 6mm to fill the "gap" between the XW7 and XW5 :D

I think there maybe some more focal lengths beyond this. Don Pensack on CN reckons that 3.5mm and 2.5mm might be forthcoming in due course but he is making an educated guess there based on previous TV eyepiece range patterns.

In some respects John I wonder about the 3.5mm as they have that in the Delos range, also I feel the vaste majority top out at 3mm with the Radian. I know you do. I sold mine as it just didn't get the use, bought it, wrote about it and put it out dust collecting.

Alan

Yep I saw that post, a bit of a bomb shell as expectations were high for a 4mm. Not the end of the world, I will go back to plan A, for a 3.5XW, to marry with my 5XW logical in many ways, but what can be done about eternal cloud cover.

Found out yesterday that a parfocalizer ring will do the jod, as I only have to move the Delos a shade over 6mm out compared to the XW7. That makes the XW 5mm - XW 7mm - Delos 8mm - XW 10mm sequence a much better planetary line-up in my C8. I might well add a Delos 6mm with parfocalizer ring between the XW5 and XW7, and perhaps even a Delite 9mm (with parfocalizer ring), between the Delos 8 and XW 10, assuming the Delite 9mm has the same focal position as the others in that series. Overkill?? Slightly :rolleyes:, but there is still empty space in my EP case :D

Thats interesting Michael.

I thought the shorter Delos reached focus at the TV focus position "B", same as the plossls and quite a few others. On my scopes I need to rack the focuser inwards a fair way to reach the focus point of the XW's.

Maybe the Delos focus point is not where I thought it was :icon_scratch:

Thats interesting Michael.

I thought the shorter Delos reached focus at the TV focus position "B", same as the plossls and quite a few others. On my scopes I need to rack the focuser inwards a fair way to reach the focus point of the XW's.

Maybe the Delos focus point is not where I thought it was :icon_scratch:

I thought the distance was longer, but it is 0.25" or 6.35mm. What I measured conforms to the two tables I cited earlier: the Delos has the focal plane 0.25" from the point where the 1.25" barrel starts, and the XWs have the focal point exactly at that latter point.  Note that 6.35mm is still quite a few turns of the focusing knob of the C8, or the fine focuser of the refractor, and if you don't get the direction right, you spend precious time at the EP racking back and forth.

....  Note that 6.35mm is still quite a few turns of the focusing knob of the C8, or the fine focuser of the refractor, and if you don't get the direction right, you spend precious time at the EP racking back and forth.

I agree - I have XWs and Radians a short focal lengths and their lack of parfocality (is that a word ?) is annoying sometimes.

I agree - I have XWs and Radians a short focal lengths and their lack of parfocality (is that a word ?) is annoying sometimes.

I don't know John, Ethos eyepieces are all over the place or at least in little groups, but i find them worth the annoyance. XW's and Delos'sss  are a good way from each other, at least putting pay to any chance of the the copy being used :icon_biggrin: .

It's COLD here but clear, still too much snow which is solid.

Alan

Archived