Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nice Solar System Images On Bbc Site This Am.

ChrisLX200

Not sure how "an American artist called Michael Benson" can have have the nerve to stick his name in the corner of every image as if it were his own ....  :cussing:

All he has done is processed raw NASA data and then exhibited it as his own , no doubt making considerable amounts of money in the process ... !!!!!

Less than impressed .  

Not sure how "an American artist called Michael Benson" can have have the nerve to stick his name in the corner of every image as if it were his own ....  :cussing:

Fairly sure the BBC has added his name in the corner, that's the font they use when attributing images. Given that each one is attributed properly in the article I don't see a problem. 

The problem I have is that the article is about an exhibition of work by an "artist" ... when the artistry was all done by NASA  ... yes NASA/JPL etc get attributed but I'm pretty sure that the data was released to all for scientific and educational purposes for the good of all ... not to line the pockets of a chancer like this ...  :angry:

OH :(  I thought they were real images taken by NASA not "artistic" creations.  There are many CGI images out there and it can be very hard to tell fake from real :(  I know CGI is very clever but... I hadn't noticed the "signature" in the corner :(

Images that he has selected and processed himself. if you look on his website all the source material has been clearly attributed. This is what NASA has to say about use of their media:

"NASA still images, audio files, video, and computer files used in the rendition of 3-dimensional models, such as texture maps and polygon data in any format, generally are not copyrighted. You may use this material for educational or informational purposes, including photo collections, textbooks, public exhibits, computer graphical simulations and Internet Web pages. This general permission extends to personal Web pages."

"NASA should be acknowledged as the source of the material except in cases of advertising."

"If the NASA material is to be used for commercial purposes, especially including advertisements, it must not explicitly or implicitly convey NASA's endorsement of commercial goods or services."

Can't we just enjoy the images? It's a fine selection and for one I appreciate seeing them together. And I didn't even have to pay a penny to do so.

Images that he has selected and processed himself. if you look on his website all the source material has been clearly attributed. This is what NASA has to say about use of their media:

"NASA still images, audio files, video, and computer files used in the rendition of 3-dimensional models, such as texture maps and polygon data in any format, generally are not copyrighted. You may use this material for educational or informational purposes, including photo collections, textbooks, public exhibits, computer graphical simulations and Internet Web pages. This general permission extends to personal Web pages."

"NASA should be acknowledged as the source of the material except in cases of advertising."

"If the NASA material is to be used for commercial purposes, especially including advertisements, it must not explicitly or implicitly convey NASA's endorsement of commercial goods or services."

Can't we just enjoy the images? It's a fine selection and for one I appreciate seeing them together. And I didn't even have to pay a penny to do so.

The imagery is free to see already via NASA ... !

It's legally covered no doubt , but morally ... ? ... When prints and posters are being sold that are credited to Michael Benson not NASA then something's wrong in my eye ... 

http://www.art.co.uk/gallery/id--a429546/michael-benson-prints.htm

http://www.allposters.com/-st/Michael-Benson-Posters_c149966_.htm

I agree they should be attributed properly on those sites, which they don't appear to be. But public domain works belong to everyone and anyone is free to use them. It's also perfectly legal to take a public domain work, alter it and then assert copyright on your version. This is a copyrighted image (in France at least) by Marcel Duchamp:

Marcel_Duchamp_Mona_Lisa_LHOOQ.jpg

Does this matter? The original version is in the Louvre and people vote with their feet (and wallets) to see it.

Concerning the Michael Benson images the data is available but there are not necessarily any original versions for the public to view. He has used the data to create mosaics and processed the images himself, its his interpretation of what is interesting presented in his style. It's no different than a musician performing their own version of a folk song or standard. It's for the public to decide whether their work has any merit but we all benefit from this freedom. There is a place for scientific imaging and for more artistic interpretations.

Archived