Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Could I use 130pds for planetary imaging?

I am getting this scope soon for DSO astrophotography mainly but just wondering could it be used for jupiter, saturn and mars imaging too? if not at least for visuals? Its 650mm but I'll be using my Panasonic m43 camera with X2 crop factor invovled. Which eyepieces do I need for visuals and imaging?

Help :o

It's not really got the focal length for planetary - even with a barlow lens. You need to be up 3000-4000mm to get the necessary image scale. As always, still worth a try because nevertheless you may still be pleased with the result!

ChrisH

For planetary AP you might be better off with a webcam. The small chip would give you a better image scale.  :smiley:

Then again many cameras nowadays have pixel sizes about equal to webcams or planetary cams like QHY5. If the camera has a 1:1 video crop mode it'd be about as good as it gets for planetary imaging.

Many Astrophotographers use DSLR's for imaging planets.

As image scale is defined by focal length, the size of the image on a webcam chip would be exactly the same as the image size on the M43 camera chip.

However the pixel size on the M43 camera will be somewhat smaller, which will be an advantage in terms of the resolution of the image - bright planets don't need big sensitive pixels.

It is notoriously difficult to position a planet such as Jupiter on a tiny webcam chip, so much easier on the M43 chip.

And when the M43 image is cropped the image will be sharper than the webcam image.

This presupposes your M43 will record a video stream. If not the advantage of the webcam is that its video stream can be filtered for best frames, and these best frames stacked to give better sig/noise.

If your 130PDS has enough focus range to accomodate your M43, give it a try Jason.

Michael

Hi

I have a 130PDS that I use as a travel scope. It can be a fine planetary telescope in spite of its limited aperture and 35% obstruction. I attach here three images of Jupiter and Venus I made with this reflector by using of a 8 mm TeleVue Plossl as projection eyepiece and a monochrome CCD camera.

Rgds

Raffaello

post-32185-0-18792500-1452173986.jpg

post-32185-0-07048600-1452173987.jpg

post-32185-0-60171900-1452173987.jpg

Hi

I have a 130PDS that I use as a travel scope. It can be a fine planetary telescope in spite of its limited aperture and 35% obstruction. I attach here three images of Jupiter and Venus I made with this reflector by using of a 8 mm TeleVue Plossl as projection eyepiece and a monochrome CCD camera.

Rgds

Raffaello

Nice....ill give it a go [emoji14]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived