Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ3-2 goto with 150P skywatcher, sufficent for photography?

John SNow

Hello everyone

Last year I purchased a Skywatcher 150P with the standard EQ3-2 tripod and mount, but now i want to start photographing with it. I am considering buying the goto upgrade kit for the tripod, but would this be suddicent for photography seen as i see a lot of people saying to but the goto EQ5 but this is simply way out of my price range. Any comment are much appreciated, Thanks!

~

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-eq3-2.html- this shows my current setup, and the setup I would have if I buy the GOTO upgrade kit

~

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/20887.html- This is the upgrade kit

​​

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe worth considering going to the "used" market. For the price of the upgrade kit and another £130 you'll get an HEQ5 Pro Synscan complete for about £450. The EQ3-2 can be used but that ally tripod doesn't help with stability - just look at the damping time when you've released the slo mo controls in regular observing. Imaging starts with a good solid accurate mount so I'd advise saving a little longer (or sell a child lol). :)

According to the Skywatcher website http://www.skywatchertelescope.net/product.php?cat=4&id=44 the 150p weighs about 4.9kgs which is also the suggested max payload for imaging (5kgs). Add in a camera and guiding gear and the total payload would exceed 5kgs. 

Also discussed here http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/259649-need-advice-on-buying-a-mount/

Hasn't someone used heavier duty tripod legs on a mount? This was talked about very recently have a search.

It was me, I fitted EQ5 tripod legs.

If its the only way you can afford a larger scope, I say go for it.

Polar alignment is critical, as is good balance. This was taken using an Eos450D with 150PL on EQ3 mount and EQ5 tripod. It's only from 30s subs, but I have gone up to 90 secs and reckon I will be able to double that as I get better at balancing and setting up. Your mileage may vary, of course.

post-43529-0-35714200-1451751637_thumb.j

This brings lots of targets in your reach, plenty for getting your hand in while you save up for a bigger mount.

It's also brilliant for lunar and planetary images where exposure times are short.

post-43529-0-31280800-1451751936.jpg

post-43529-0-57937500-1451751964.jpg

Great picture of Jupiter! how'd you manage to get that big a image with a 150P? I think i will do what you have done. Put my current EQ3-2 mount on EQ-5 legs right? did you use an EQ3-2 goto or an EQ-5 goto?

The EQ3-2 and 150P certainly can be used for deep sky astrophotography. Is it easy?... no. Will you win any awards with the images?... probably not. Will you learn a whole bunch of stuff?... Definitely. Will it be fun and frustrating in equal measure?... Yes!

I tried an EQ5 as potential upgrade and found it more stable, but with less accurate motor drives. If you are serious about AP I would really recommend the HEQ5 over the EQ5

These were taken with a 150P single speed and unmodified Canon 1000D on an EQ3-2 with aluminium tripod and the basic motor drives.

med_gallery_18573_493_1338790483_12566.j

med_gallery_18573_493_1338790483_12567.j

med_gallery_18573_493_1338790449_10646.j

Now the same scope and camera on an NEQ6 rather than EQ3-2

med_gallery_18573_493_1338790524_14621.j

med_gallery_18573_493_1338790543_15913.j

med_gallery_18573_493_1338790552_16643.j

All amazing images, what do you mean by basic motors? like, a single DC motor? from those it seems I could use the EQ3-2. Do you think it would make much difference if i put the EQ3-3 mount on the EQ-5 legs?

All amazing images, what do you mean by basic motors? like, a single DC motor? from those it seems I could use the EQ3-2. Do you think it would make much difference if i put the EQ3-3 mount on the EQ-5 legs?

Yes, a big one. I spent a lot of effort stiffening the EQ3 legs but the EQ5 ones are still better - really solid.

I used the old version basic dual-axis DC motor drives but the new enhanced ones are even better as they offer the possibility of an autoguider input. I have used the EQ3-2 on the steel leg tripod (the AZ4 uses the same steel pipe legs as EQ5/HEQ5) and while it certainly feels a bit more stable, honestly, with a great wind-sail like a 150P sat on top, didn't make any difference to my final images. I always used the ali tripod at it's lowest position though.

The EQ3-2 is always going to be a stepping stone mount regarding stability. Guiding was the key to getting better images for me. The enhanced motor drives allow you to do that, then upgrade to an HEQ5/NEQ6 when funds allow. Just going to a heavy duty mount without guiding will allow you to keep more subs rather than loose them because of wind shake, but you will still be limited to 60-90 seconds. It really depends on your own upgrade path but eventually you will want to upgrade from the EQ3-2.

I think i will do waht you have done then Stub Mandrel, but i think i will get the GOTO system as i will find it easier that way.
Many Sequins, ​so the dual axis motors just keep it turning at the right speed? I'm not sure if I'm experienced enough to use just those yet

Oh wait, when you say auto guider input do you mean I could plug it into my laptop and use say Stellarium to guide it to objects?

No, you would still need to find and frame the objects yourself, but if you have a second smaller scope and camera, you can send corrections to the mount to keep it tracking more accurately. It is something to think about for the future maybe, but makes a big difference to the quality of your images.

At this early stage of your astrophotography journey I would recommend you get a copy of Making Every photon Count. It does a great job of explaining what you need, and why you need it to get satisfying deep sky images.

Oh wait, when you say auto guider input do you mean I could plug it into my laptop and use say Stellarium to guide it to objects?

Autoguiding refers to the use of software such as PHD to send small corrective commands back to the mount through the ST4 port when imaging. A second camera (guide camera) is centred on a guide star and the software monitors any drift in the position of the guide star, sending commands back to the mount to recentre the star.

Stellarium can be used to slew the mount to a target object but cannot be used for guiding. You also require a goto mount to do this, whereas, with autoguiding, you only need a mount with an ST4 port. The latest version of the dual axis motor drive kit has an ST4 port in the handset which will give you autoguiding but not goto, you need the Synscan upgrade to do this.

Using the steel EQ5 / HEQ5 tripod is a good idea, this will make the mount more stable.

Yeah that's all I meant, for it to guide the telescope to the object, so it will do that? the DC motors track the object though right? that's the whole point in them isn't it? Thanks for explaining what auto guiding it, I think that way out of my league for the moment haha

Ok, thanks! but for the motors, you use them to manuever the telescope, but when you want it to start tracking do you press a button or?

That depends on which motors. For the dual axis drives you can disengage the mount's clutches and manually slew the telescope on to the target and then retighten them, the RA tracking motor will then start to drive the mount at the correct rate. For goto mounts the mount is controlled entirely from the handset. Select the target from the menu and then press the enter key. The mount will then slew onto the target and give a bleep when slew is completed. The mount will then continue to track at the correct rate until the next goto command is issued.

I think it best i go for the GOTO option then as its simpler and im still new to this. Thanks for all your help, i really appreciate it. I dont want to be making uninformed decisions when it costs so much . So my end decision is buying EQ-5 legs, attaching them to my EQ3-2 mount. And buying the GOTO for the EQ3-2. Will this still be ok with the camera and what not attached to everything?

Personally, I wouldn't spend that much on upgrading an EQ3-2. It's only ever going to be a small/medium mount and will need upgrading to a heavier duty model If you want satisfying images from a Newtonian OTA long term. I would get the basic drives to keep me going and save for a better mount. But, the steel-pipe tripod and GoTo upgrade will work okay and you should do what seems right for you. 

Its still going to be too heavy for the EQ3-2 mount thought isnt it? i forogt about that part. Or is that just a recommendation for the mount and tripod? i think you might be right with the drives, so i'd point the telescope at what i want, then turn the motors on and it'll track it right?

If you upgrade the legs and get the upgrade kit with auto guide port then you may as well get a second hand HEQ5 any way - cos you'll be spending just as much money and won't get the superior motors, superior head, and guiding/tracking accuracy of the HEQ5 (which will also give you goto and easy connectivity). By far the best option is a s/h HEQ5 pro synscan, technically, operationally, and financially. Hth :)

(I've been through all this a few years back and it really makes sense)

Archived