Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Years resolution.

Garethr

Has anyone got any New Years resolutions for next year.

Mine is to have a good go at imaging the moon in detail.

Mainly cos I'm fed up with the only clear nights we get are during full Moon.

Thought this could be an ongoing project to run with my attempts to track the ISS and image one evening.  Had a go at tracking at speed with the mount the other night and I think it is doable with the belt drives on an EQ5 with a light 70mm frac.

Gareth

Mine is to get at least one decent imaging session at a dark site. I have spent a lot of time ( and a bit of money) getting all of my set up safely transportable. Any imaging time I have had this year (which hasn't been a lot) has been spent testing set ups and polar alignment/guiding routines so now I'm ready. I just need a clear moonless Friday or Saturday night, but with the collective will of the entire UK SGL community it might just happen...

Tomato,

That was mine a few years ago then I discovered a holiday centre in Devon where they have a couple of cabins big dob and 10" quattro in a dome with all the kit needed to image.  As a bonus they have some of the darkest skies in england.  Since then I go at least once a year and twice if SWMBO allows.

Called Astroadventures look em up

Gareth 

I've been interested in astronomy before, and I got a telescope for Christmas, so I've been using that a lot. I plan on being able to enjoy my telescope I have been doing and upgrade to a Nexstar sometime this year!

Hi Gareth, thanks for the info. I have a funny story regarding a dark site in Devon. A few years ago before I got back into this hobby we stayed at a cottage on the coast which I recall being a wonderfully dark location. So when we went back earlier this year I loaded up all my gear to take advantage of it. Just two things I overlooked, how windy it was and also I conveniently forgot was that it was a Lighthouse keeper's cottage so every 35 seconds a million candlepower beam swept majestically across the sky!

Seriously though it still was brilliant for visuals, I have never matched the views of M81 & M82 I had at the eyepiece that night.

I am blessed with a good dark site just 30 minutes from our house, like everyone else I just need it to be Clear Outside.

Steve

Archived