Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astro January sales?

Andrew INT

Hi all,

I am going to order myself a telescope pier now, but was just wondering if its worth holding back for a week or two in case any of the main astro suppliers hold a sale in the new year. Thinking back though, I cant really remember an astro January sale ever being a "thing".

Is it worth holding back do you think?

I've never known such sales happen in the astro world.

Occasionally some suppliers will offer a discount to coincide with a major show such as Astrofest.

I don't think the margins are there in the astro equipment market to enable major discounting.

Hi all,

I am going to order myself a telescope pier now, but was just wondering if its worth holding back for a week or two in case any of the main astro suppliers hold a sale in the new year. Thinking back though, I cant really remember an astro January sale ever being a "thing".

Is it worth holding back do you think?

Telescope House offered a 10% discount on any purchase made during the week encompassing the AstroFest last February.  Astroboot are selling pier components for a Meade ETX right now - if that's any help.  You could always try a Wanted ad in Astrobuysell as well as in this forum.  We all like to get best value from our hard-earned dosh so, good luck.

Hmm, do Telescope House do that on every astrofest Relpet? The pier and adapter (skyshed) would save almost £60 with 10% off. That would be worth waiting an extra 4 weeks until Feb! I have some big purchased coming up in stages....I could try and stagger them for the next couple of February's! :)

Not really any "sales" but there is Astrofest in early Feb and retailers that attend often offer reductions, I think around the 10% mark.

Not sure about a pier however, they are not the sort of thing that many buy often.

Also you would have to get to London for the day and one session at Astrofest is £20 this year, so is £20+train fare a suitable saving, although you do get a day out to look at lots of extra astro equipment that you will want to buy.

Astrofest is usually busy, as in sardine can busy.

You may have rail restrictions on the Friday event.

If I go I think it will be the Saturday morning, then have lunch somewhere, then amble back to look at what is on offer when everyone is in the afternoon talks.

You need to plan astrofest.

Hmm, do Telescope House do that on every astrofest Relpet? The pier and adapter (skyshed) would save almost £60 with 10% off. That would be worth waiting an extra 4 weeks until Feb! I have some big purchased coming up in stages....I could try and stagger them for the next couple of February's! :)

Andrew,

My visit to AstroFest last February was my first visit.  My wife was having a knee replacement in Caterham so it seemed like an opportunity to while away a few hours until she came round in the evening.  Anything I bought from whoever would be my first purchase of anything astronomical but I had done a lot of research and a Revelation 8" Dob was in budget.  I had been to the TH showroom a few days before, just as they were closing the doors before driving their vans to the West End.  The chat was inevitably brief so the chance to talk at greater length at the show seemed opportune.  Though the offer seemed specifically for orders placed at the show I was told an order made within seven days would attract the discount.  As that was the specific stand I wanted to visit and knew little or nothing about anything else at the time (how much we learn once we get into it!) I don't know if any other exhibitor was offering discounts.  Any discount may have been restricted to items on exhibit anyway.  While there I had a chat with and bought a signed book from the daughter of Stephen Hawking and became aware of Guildford Astronomical Society which I later joined.  So I got a number of fringe benefits.  My wife's knee?  Fine job.  Good day all round.

Peter

• 1 year later...

Archived