Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What Would You Add As A Second Scope For Imaging ?

Hi all,

My current equpiment includes the following :-

Celestron C8-N Telescope + Starsense / Skywatcher 130M

Celestron Advanced VX GOTO EQ Mount

Canon EOS 1100D DSLR

QHY 5-II Colour Cmos Planetary/Guide Camera

I am looking at adding a refractor to give me different options when imaging, and also one that would decrease the weight on the AVX mount (which to be honest handles the C8N fine - and that is quite a heavy piece of kit).

I don't have a lot to spend, and wondered if something like this might be good ?

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/bresser-messier-ar-102s600-hexafoc-optical-tube-assembly.html

Obviously I would also need to get a dovetail bar to allow it to sit on my AVX mount.

The C8N is a great telescope, but it can take's some lugging about and setup can take a while too, so a smaller refractor might also assist in that area too.

Maybe what I have is enough and I don't need a refractor at all ?

I would welcome any advice anyone would be willing to share with me.

Many thanks

Kind Regards

:smiley:

If the budget is tight and you want a shorter FL/wider field of view then Jules is right, I doubt that anything can beat the 130P Newt with coma corrector. It will not be as straightforward to use as a small refractor but it will be faster. If you prefer to stick with the refractors then the very least you need is an ED doublet like the ED80. Don't go for an achromat. You'll have bloated blue stars all over the show.

Olly

Many thanks to everyone for your input - it is appreciated. 

Olly - interesting that you mention the 130 reflector there - I have a skywatcher 130 so may well utilise that more - thanks for the advice.

In regard to the 130, it has to be the PDS version - as the P or M versions are not optimised for imaging (your camera wont be able to reach focus with them). For details on what the PDS can do, have a look at this thread:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/210593-imaging-with-the-130pds/

For a refractor, the cheapest (good) option is the SW 80ED but if youre used to f5, you may find it a little slow (f6.38 with its reducer). The next (fast) step up is the f4.9 Star 71, but that will set you back the best part of 1k.... cracking little scope though. Another alternative is an 80/480 with a reducer (Altair Astro or TS, theyre both the same...ish).

If the budget is tight and you want a shorter FL/wider field of view then Jules is right, I doubt that anything can beat the 130P Newt with coma corrector. It will not be as straightforward to use as a small refractor but it will be faster. If you prefer to stick with the refractors then the very least you need is an ED doublet like the ED80. Don't go for an achromat. You'll have bloated blue stars all over the show.

Olly

This is what the stars will look like with an achro like the ST 80

post-8850-0-43733100-1451404067_thumb.jp

Archived