Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anyone had a go at NG2392 Eskimo Nebula ?

Garethr

My Book states the following which made me think it could be worth a go with the 200P

NGC 2392 is a bright planetary nebula that is known as the Eskimo or Clown Face nebula. It is located 2.3 degrees southeast of Wasat (Delta Geminorum) in the constellation of Gemini.

The 9.1-magnitude Eskimo nebula lies 3,000 light-years away and has an apparent size of 48 x 42 arcseconds, which is 1 light-year in space in real size. The white dwarf central star shines at magnitude 10.5.

The Eskimo is a complex double-shelled planetary nebula. The progenitor star is surrounded by two shells of gas ejected by the star.

NGC 2392 was discovered by William Herschel in 1787.

Eskimo_800x.jpg

Gareth

I tried it about a year ago with a small CCD and very short exposures, and got what I thought was a worthwhile result:

NGC-2392 (Owl/Eskimo Nebula)

Also tried it with Ha and bigger CCD a few nights back but haven't had a chance to muck with the data. It's a wee object, so teasing detail out of it is a bit of a challenge, but certainly doable (as other folks have shown!).

Archived