Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Christmas eve moon in colour

Celeste

Had fun getting this image, standing just outside the front door with the 200p Dob and Canon 1000D in just my jumper dress and leggings, no shoes or socks haha! It was that mild here. 

25 frames, PIPP to create AVI file, Registax, then into Photoshop for final processing :)

SkyWatcher 200p Dob

Canon 1000D, Exp1/4000 ISO400 

Moon%20fc%20png%20_zpskngex9i0.png

Nice colourful moon, clearly showing the differences in composition on the surface. Bit noisy, of course, but that is the price you pay for boosting the colours

It looks like a much higher ISO than 400 but I suspect the very fast shutter speed and having to bring out the surface detail, brings out the noise too.

I quite like it. Push it even further and you'll get an abstract type lunar pic, anime moon?

It looks like a much higher ISO than 400 but I suspect the very fast shutter speed and having to bring out the surface detail, brings out the noise too.

I quite like it. Push it even further and you'll get an abstract type lunar pic, anime moon?

Yup it's noisy.....processing did bring out the dots a lot lol....but also please consider this camera is old...and was CHEAP so i'm pretty happy with it so far :)  This is my first try on the moon, i've never used a DSLR before lol.....honestly. 

I tried it on M45 a few weeks ago, but I couldn't manage to get any nebula from it so I assume this DSLR is almost done in. I only bought it for large targets as my Atik CCD is too small. The subs were all ISO400. Do you suggest a slower shutter speed next time I try? I was hoping for another shot next full moon so I can be more prepared.

An anime moon you say....hmmm - yes I managed to create a very odd looking moon...some vivid colourings haha. 

Thanks for the replies :)

Celeste I've imaged the moon at ISO 800 on an older cheap used Nikon DSLR that has exposure issues but haven't had the noise levels your pic shows. Nothing wrong with some noise, horses for courses. For a first photo it pretty good, you'll get used to your camera and settings over time.

atm I'm imaging the moon at ISO 100 and 1/800th of a second although each camera will give slightly different results. At those settings on my camera lunar shots come out underexposed which is better for editing than over exposed. The more you try to bring out of a photo with editing, the more noise and artifacts you'll get. You can also fix noise and artifacts to some degree in you image editor, depends what you're using and it's settings.

I'm leaning away from the perfect processed shot as I know I'll probably never achieve it, even though it's always nice to view them here at SGL from the more experienced imaging members.

At the end of the day, it's what looks good to you and what you're happy with. Everyone has a different interpretation of what they're seeing and imaging. There is no right or wrong :smiley:

Celeste I've imaged the moon at ISO 800 on an older cheap used Nikon DSLR that has exposure issues but haven't had the noise levels your pic shows. Nothing wrong with some noise, horses for courses. For a first photo it pretty good, you'll get used to your camera and settings over time.

atm I'm imaging the moon at ISO 100 and 1/800th of a second although each camera will give slightly different results. At those settings on my camera lunar shots come out underexposed which is better for editing than over exposed. The more you try to bring out of a photo with editing, the more noise and artifacts you'll get. You can also fix noise and artifacts to some degree in you image editor, depends what you're using and it's settings.

I'm leaning away from the perfect processed shot as I know I'll probably never achieve it, even though it's always nice to view them here at SGL from the more experienced imaging members.

At the end of the day, it's what looks good to you and what you're happy with. Everyone has a different interpretation of what they're seeing and imaging. There is no right or wrong :smiley:

Thanks, thing is, on my screen the noise isn't that bad as it is on here...it's odd how the noise is more when hosted elsewhere and re-posted. Facebook is worse for that! I will try different settings next time :)

Yep I've noticed some photo's don't show as nice on certain websites and even different computer screens.

Oh and your DSLR probably isn't done. For nebular's/DSO bump that ISO right up and get exposures of at least 30 seconds with good tracking, they will start to show themselves, higher exposures if your tracking allows it without getting drift.

Yep I've noticed some photo's don't show as nice on certain websites and even different computer screens.

Oh and your DSLR probably isn't done. For nebular's/DSO bump that ISO right up and get exposures of at least 30 seconds with good tracking, they will start to show themselves, higher exposures if your tracking allows it without getting drift.

I was taking subs at min 5 minutes guided...stacked 1hr 40mins worth of usable subs and still no nebula showing. Highest ISO is 1600 on this DSLR, I assume I need higher?

I'm not sure Celeste about M45, I haven't seen that yet. Going by what I've just read online you should've got something.

Have you tested the camera on M42 Orions Neb? You should get a little bit of nebular showing around the center even with a 15 sec single shot.

I'm not sure Celeste about M45, I haven't seen that yet. Going by what I've just read online you should've got something.

Have you tested the camera on M42 Orions Neb? You should get a little bit of nebular showing around the center even with a 15 sec single shot.

Not yet, not much chance here in the UK with our lovely grey skies lol. If it's not clouds, it's moon drowning everything out, if not that then lack of time. Anyway I much prefer my CCD to DSLR, I only got it for the moon/large targets, and it seems it's not for me. I will try more before I decide to sell the camera :)

They are both good shots Celeste. If I had to choose, it would be the first one.

To be honest, I'm not very impressed with my older DSLR either. I'm not sure if I'll upgrade.

Upgrade! upgrade! lol...in all seriousness....UPGRADE!! haha. I will persevere more, i'm not done with it yet  :tongue:

Thanks boxtko :) and no, unfortunately I don't have the privilege of living aboard the ISS lol

could not get anything close to yours when I tried with DSLR, very nice indeed

any stacking?

Yes, I put the info in the top post. I took LOTS of subs, picked only the best ones the took them into PIPP to create an AVI file as the 1000D doesn't do video, then into Registax for stacking and some wavelet adjustment then into PS for final processing.

Archived