Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WO STAR 71.

The reply from flo says (It will be a single screw fixing and it will be the black screw on the focuser  in front of the 2 silver screws) would this be were i have marked yellow theirs one either side,seems to be poor fixing with 1 screw?. i'm a bit worried about undoing any old screw as there don't seem to be any instructions on the williams site yet.

post-8423-0-76560700-1450199284.jpg

I've got my RDF fixed in that hole but don't think it's a good mounting for a guider, far to wobbly, better of with guidescope rings on another bar on the scope rings, easy enough to make one yourself from a bit of ally' bar 

Don't undo any other screws

Dave

My Star71 is mounted upside down with a spare long dovetail on the bottom to attach to the mount.

I moved the gold WO dovetail to the top and mounted the guidescope rings to that.

I wouldn't mount a guidescope on that single screw.

Originally I was thinking of getting a 1.25" IDAS to use in place of my LUM filter for LP duties but since I had a 2" version from my previous setup I didn't want to spent more money on another IDAS.

I toyed with the idea of mounting it onto the M48 before the camera as that seemed like the only spot but didn't think the filter would take the weight of the camera.

As a last resort I unscrewed the camera rotator (held by those 3 brass screws) and to my surprise there's a spot inside the rotator where you can screw in a 2" filter !!  :biggrin:

That's great news i did see their was a extra thread up inside but had not investigated any further,do you loosen those 3 brass screws to rotate camera and then tighten back up? and i see there is a silver screw between them what would that be for?.

As a last resort I unscrewed the camera rotator (held by those 3 brass screws) and to my surprise there's a spot inside the rotator where you can screw in a 2" filter !!  :biggrin:

I came across that via a thread on the Cloudy Nights forum some months ago when I got my Star 71.  That is the one gripe that I have about the scope, i.e. WO have not provided any kind of documentation - I do think a manual would be useful as there's all sorts of screws on and around the focuser whose purpose should be explained.

The silver thumbscrew locks the rotator in place while the three brass screw hold the rotator so you'll need to loosen all four screws before it pops out. There's a teflon ring in there too so make a note where that goes as it could pop out.

I agree with Mike about the lack of documentation, even the drawing on the FLO page doesn't indicate a spot for the 2" 

Archived