NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I just came in from viewing Sirius and a few open clusters

DemosL

I was out earlier looking at the Pleiades and Orion (see separate post). I came in and waarmed up for about an hour. I went back out to view Sirius and the surrounding area. Sirius was fantastic. I wish I could see Sirius B (which I used to look at in my scopes). M41 was easy to see a few degrees almost directly below it. I found M35 very easily near one of the feet of the twins of Gemini. I saw a few other fainter open clusters while scanning the sky. I'm back inside, where I'll stay and will soon hit the sack.

• 2 weeks later...

I just came in from enjoying cold and dry weather with a clear sky after a few cloudy days and rain yesterday. I immediately turned my attention to Orion and surrounding areas. In Auriga, I could see M38 (looks almost like a nebula) in the same FOV M36, which is brighter and definitely looks like an open cluster. A little more than a FOV to the SE of M36 is M37, which is a brighter, more resolveable open cluster. The 3 open clusters of Auriga are in almost a straight line. Not far to the SE of M37 is the brighter and more resolveable M35.

Archived