NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Christmas newbie binoculars

These should do the trick. Free postage too apparently. I've bought astronomy stuff form them before, even though there main push is cameras. They have a good selection of binoculars as well as a few scopes too. With some further checking around you might be able to get a better deal than this, although I doubt it will be much less.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-celestron-skymaster-15x70-binoculars/p1532970?mkwid=sqepvjfog_dt&pcrid=89741420099&kword=&match=&plid=&gclid=ckwx6-ykxckcfyje2wodvt0c3w

These get high enough praise. Won S@N review a few yrs back. I have 2 pair of Straths (10x50 and 20x90). I just keep going back to Strathspey because not only are the bins great (i know they are generic bins that have been branded with the company name), but John the owner is seriously one of the nicest people ive had the pleasure of parting with my money for.

http://www.strathspey.co.uk/shop/M10x50.html

I was sent both the 7x50 and 10x50 Strathspey Marine binoculars to trial. I kept the 10x50's because at the time, 10x50 was the requirement for my needs, general use, all weather and mil-spec.

If I did not already own the Helios 8X40's I would have kept both the Marines. The only reason for the Helios over the Marine, the 8x40 has a wider view!

I also own 15x70 bins, and for me their great for shipping on the horizon or cruising airliners, but Planetary detail does not exist! except for our Moon, I therefore desire binoculars with wider fields of view instead of magnification that I cant hand hold, or showing no details on the planets, Jupiter in my case?

The Strathspeys have individual focus eyepieces. Set and forget for astronomy, yet the next day I used them during the day, they still required no change! They have a very good depth of field, so you dont have to keep adjusting them, only for close work, so watching wrens in your garden would be a nightmare?

Helios 8x40 or 10x50 and the Stathspeys are good.

I was sent both the 7x50 and 10x50 Strathspey Marine binoculars to trial. I kept the 10x50's because at the time, 10x50 was the requirement for my needs, general use, all weather and mil-spec.

If I did not already own the Helios 8X40's I would have kept both the Marines. The only reason for the Helios over the Marine, the 8x40 has a wider view!

I also own 15x70 bins, and for me their great for shipping on the horizon or cruising airliners, but Planetary detail does not exist! except for our Moon, I therefore desire binoculars with wider fields of view instead of magnification that I cant hand hold, or showing no details on the planets, Jupiter in my case?

The Strathspeys have individual focus eyepieces. Set and forget for astronomy, yet the next day I used them during the day, they still required no change! They have a very good depth of field, so you dont have to keep adjusting them, only for close work, so watching wrens in your garden would be a nightmare?

Helios 8x40 or 10x50 and the Stathspeys are good.

I'm waiting to fall in love with my Strathspey 7x50 Marines. May have faired better with the 10x50's instead, but got lured in by the larger exit pupil. The 7mm exit pupil may be the problem here in that I don't get enough contrast between the dark sky and the object, especially on any DSO's. They may work better at dark sites, but for where I live I always reach for my 15x70 as these do give better contrast, especially with the LP here, and the higher magnification allows me to see DSO's much easier too.

Knighty2112........Celestron or Revelation, 15x70 side-by-side, you would probably enjoy both models!  me too!  although the first time I saw M51 from my light polluted garden was with the 15x70s? I still have not seen it with the telescope ( I will,  given the right timing and position of the galaxy  - I need to go out at a much later time in the morning to get a better view as M51 comes over head, from behind my tree obstruction, and away from the head of a  street lamp-post, in-line from my observing position?) although I should have compared both that night.  The Skyliner will see M51 and better too if I take the above steps.

At the end of the day, if you spend 1000 or 100 on a pair of binoculars, of the same magnification and objective,  they'll still probably give the same results under similar conditions for our eyes alone.  Our eyes, perception and conditions will make or break similar optics under the same conditions, yet I still favour  low power,and wide-field. 

I was recommended a pair of Helios Naturesport 10x50 binoculars on here two months ago. I've had the binoculars for about a month and I absolutely love them. 

Good quality, light and easy to hand hold. I'd recommend them to anyone starting out, they're available from FLO and fit in your budget of 100£.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

+1 for Alfians recommendation for binocularsky website.

Loads of good info on there. written by someone who knows his stuff, so I recommend doing what I did when buying binos...read the reviews written by those who know.

As a result of doing that, i'm the proud owner of a pair of pentax sp 10x50, and i'm delighted with them.

Check out FLO, who I found to be very quick with delivery. They are of course to be found cheaper (parallel imports I think) on other sites, but I wanted the back-up offered by FLO.

Good luck with it.

Bob

Archived