NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ES 30mm 70° 2" for £53, good deal?

Matthew Neale

Should be a good eyepiece hopefully. I'm awaiting a 25mm 1.75" EP I ordered up from the US. Shipped yesterday, but with Christmas mail not really expecting to see it much before Christmas. Only cost £28 with postage too (was on offer a couple of weeks ago). I'll await to see if it is on par with my three Celestron Omni EP's I have (32mm, 12mm and 6mm).

Yeah I've read good things on it I just doubt myself so much lol. This will be my first 2" ep as well. Knighty would you mind feeding back in the 25mm once received. I've been deliberating a long time and think ES range are the ones that I want (televue way way out of my range lol) for the money I have.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Yeah I've read good things on it I just doubt myself so much lol. This will be my first 2" ep as well. Knighty would you mind feeding back in the 25mm once received. I've been deliberating a long time and think ES range are the ones that I want (televue way way out of my range lol) for the money I have.

Sure. No problem. Next Feb/March time I want to upgrade my diagonal on my ST120 refractor to allow me to use both 2" and 1.75" inch EP's. Then in April/May time I want to splash out on my first 2" EP too.

Fair enough is always good to have a plan. I acquired an eq-6 mount for £100, and also someone is selling me their Astro Electronics FS2 full goto for £200 so I feel I've got a right bargain there too. To me that's a mount for life :-)

Telescope House have these at £65 (Out of Stock), so probably not really a £99 eyepiece, but at £53 with free delivery, still a good bargain. I always read good things about ES eyepieces. Hopefully you will get it before Christmas.

Just checked AstroShops website (I think they are german) and the RRP there is 85 Euro, so I think they may be take some liberties on the saving, but it works out about the same price (69 euro). So a good find.

I always take RRPs on Amazon with a pinch of salt.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on it, I've got the same scope and am on the lookout for an eyepiece of this FL

There is quite a long thread running on the "Cloudynights" forum about these eyepieces, which is worth a read:

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/519180-es-25mm-70-degree-for-1999-sale/

They are clearly on offer in the USA as well !

The above thread relates mainly to the 25mm but I reckon the 30mm will be similar in characteristics.

Personally, the best "budget" wide field eyepiece that I've used to date are the Maxvision ones. I have the 24mm 68 degrees one and it works really pretty well even in my 12" F/5.3 dobsonain :smiley:

Would you like me to feed back on this EP?

That'll be great for many interested.

I've not looked through that eyepiece, since it's an Erfle, my wild guess is that it's will show astigmatism(from the eyepiece) and coma( from the mirror) some 30-40% in outer field in you F4.7 scope.

I always take any rrp with a pinch of salt but I guess that's just me lol.

Yes I'll certainly feedback the results as soon as I receive and get since clear skies :-)

Yeah i thought so too, best part is but with the mount I got out £100 for a 6 inch 1200 millimetre refractor, complete with intes diagonal.

• 2 weeks later...

Should be a good eyepiece hopefully. I'm awaiting a 25mm 1.75" EP I ordered up from the US. Shipped yesterday, but with Christmas mail not really expecting to see it much before Christmas. Only cost £28 with postage too (was on offer a couple of weeks ago). I'll await to see if it is on par with my three Celestron Omni EP's I have (32mm, 12mm and 6mm).

Well I received my 25mm ES EP from the US this morning. I had only just yesterday sent an email to the company who sold it to ask about the tracking number they gave me which never worked, and was assuming the worst that it had got lost in the post. Got a nice surprise when the postie knocked on the door and low and behold there was my new EP. First thought before I even opened the box was this thing weighs a tonne! After opening the box I suddenly found out why; it wasn't a 1.25" EP which I thought it was, but a 2" one!

Photo shows the 25mm 2" EP with my previous largest EP my 32mm Celestron Omni 1.25" EP.

So alas I can't use the EP until I get the new 2"/1.25" dielectric diagonal I was going to get in Feb time. If funds allow with my Christmas wages I may sneak it in for January instead. I'll let you know how it performs when I can get the new 2" diagonal to use it.

post-46997-0-10350500-1450356913_thumb.j

Well my ES 30mm 70° 2" EP has has a couple of outings. May I say that although it does suffer from 'birds' around the edges, how stunning it is to have such a wide view of the pleiades for example. Great mouthwatering introduction to 2" ep's.

In other news, also obtained 5mm vixen npl, I literally got a 5 minute view of Jupiter before the clouds rolled out. Jupiter was still very low down in the atmosphere but I was able to clearly make out the banding. Something I was rarely able to do with standard, high powered plossl's.

Awaiting delivery of my moonfish 1.25/2" Barlow 2x mag. Good month astronomy wise, personal level, I won't swear haha.

Managed to sneak in an extra Chrismas prezzy; a 2" with 1.25" adapter dielectric diagonal by Altair Astro.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-altair-astro-2-inch-dielectric-diagonal/p1543257

Have to wait till Christmas Day to use it at the earliest as it's going to be wrapped up as a gift from my girlfriend, but as soon as I get a chance to after the 25th I'll use it with my new 2" ES 25mm EP and report my findings on the EP. Can't wait! Just hope we get some nice clear nights for Christmas Day and beyond! :)

Managed to sneak in an extra Chrismas prezzy; a 2" with 1.25" adapter dielectric diagonal by Altair Astro.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-altair-astro-2-inch-dielectric-diagonal/p1543257

Have to wait till Christmas Day to use it at the earliest as it's going to be wrapped up as a gift from my girlfriend, but as soon as I get a chance to after the 25th I'll use it with my new 2" ES 25mm EP and report my findings on the EP. Can't wait! Just hope we get some nice clear nights for Christmas Day and beyond! :)

I used to use one of those on my ED120 refractor except mine was branded "Revelation". They are very good 2" diagonals IMHO.

Archived