Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher focuser fitted to ST120 scope

First major modification done to my three week old ST120. Went and bought a Skywatcher focuser that was on offer at FLO (ordered yesterday and received today via normal 1st class post, how great is that! :) ), and fitted just now. Only issue I had was getting one of the focuser adjuster knobs off, as it was Locktited onto the thread on the focuser axel, and not fixed on with a screw or Alan key head screw, so took a bit of force to break the Locktite seal on the thread to unscrew it.

Works really smoothly. Tested on a far chimney stack and achieves focus very well with the slowest motion of the motor. So far very pleased with it. Await to test fully under a cold, dark sky, but hopefully there will be no issues.

Going to mod the controller next so that I can use my Celestron Powertank to power the motor. The 9V battery is extremely tight in the controller, plus some reviewers said that the batteries don't last long in it, so the Powertank will solve that potential issue.

Now just need some clear skies after sunset! :)

post-46997-0-76420400-1448377273_thumb.j

post-46997-0-55962700-1448377299_thumb.j

You'll notice the drop in the shake level as you change focus. A good mod.

I had an ST120 and also change the focuser to a 10:1 type to get fine adjust. It worked but with a camera I ahde to add extra spacers as the new focuser did not have the run out of the old one.

You'll notice the drop in the shake level as you change focus. A good mod.

I had an ST120 and also change the focuser to a 10:1 type to get fine adjust. It worked but with a camera I ahde to add extra spacers as the new focuser did not have the run out of the old one.

According to my weather app it is going to be clear from 11 pm onwards tonight where I am, so hopefully I will get a chance to test it out 'live' tonight! :)

Tested it out on the moon tonight. Focus was easy to achieve, and no shake on the mount through the eyepiece. So far probably the best single item I've bought for my telescope.

Now, tomorrow I need to get down to Maplin's and get a few bits and bobs to get the focuser to work via my Powertank rather than a 9V battery. :)

Archived