Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

10 or 15 x 70mm binoculars

I have been thinking of new binoculars recently.It seems that 70mm object lens is a good compromise between hand holdable and lots of light gathering power.

I have posted several bino posts recently to help with my choice.Would 10 x 70's be more hand holdable ,with less image shake than 15 x ?.Or would 15 x with the smaller exit pupil size be better?

How would 10 x 70mm binos perform?

The 10x70s would have a 7mm exit pupil. Unless you have young eyes and a very dark sky you won't be able to use that.

I wouldn't under estimate the comfort factor too. Anything x 70 is going to be tough on the arms and is probably better tripod mounted.

Properly mounted a pair of 15 x 70s would give impressive views.

I have the Celestron Skywatcher 15 x70 binoculars, and to be honest I don't really find them to bad to hold. And no, I don't go to the gym and pump iron. The views through them are very good, and I can see quite a few DSO's quite easily with them, and also much quicker too than with my telescopes.

I went for 15x70 bins. A 7mm exit pupil often gives washed out skies.

To be honest I get a good dark view through them. Much darker in fact than the views I get from my Strathspey 7 X 50 Marine binoculars as a comparison, so as such tend to use the Skymaster binoculars much more than the Strathspey binoculars.

To be honest I get a good dark view through them. Much darker in fact than the views I get from my Strathspey 7 X 50 Marine binoculars as a comparison, so as such tend to use the Skymaster binoculars much more than the Strathspey binoculars.

Precisely: the 7x50 has a 7mm exit pupil, just like a 10x70, whereas the 15x70 about 4.6mm, which gives darker backgrounds. I also use my Helios Apollo 15x70 bins hand-held.

Precisely: the 7x50 has a 7mm exit pupil, just like a 10x70, whereas the 15x70 about 4.6mm, which gives darker backgrounds. I also use my Helios Apollo 15x70 bins hand-held.

Sorry. I misread what you wrote. I thought you meant you got 15 X 70 which have a 7mm exit pupil which gave you washed out skies. Oops! :(

I tried the Orion Resolux 10.5x70 (same type as reviewed above) in Sydney Australia when I was on a visit for work there, and they are very nice indeed. I only used them in daytime, but they were certainly crisp and very bright. If your skies are good, they are very nice indeed

I have the Celestron Skywatcher 15 x70 binoculars, and to be honest I don't really find them to bad to hold. And no, I don't go to the gym and pump iron. The views through them are very good, and I can see quite a few DSO's quite easily with them, and also much quicker too than with my telescopes.

I bought my Celestron SkyMaster 15 x 70 bins in April and I too don't find them difficult to hold for long periods. I use a zero gravity lounge chair to support my body, which helps to steady the bins.

Archived